Class of ’06

What happened to microwaves littering the freshman quad?

Keep your heads up, Class of 2006, you’re almost sophomores.

It was only months ago that seasoned seniors could spot you from a mile away. Whether it was the new face, bright eyes or unconcealable bewilderment, upperclassmen knew just who to talk to before recruitment – or not talk to in the case of the ladies. In August, student organizations salivated over the new source of labor and ideas. Believe it or not, both the upperclassmen and organizations have been satisfied.

While last year’s first-year class always found a way to get into drunken brawls and fraternal spats, the class of 2006 has handled itself with a certain measure of class. Ed Board isn’t going to go into a roll call of prominent rookies; it’s just not our style. We will, however, point out the obvious.

Last year stuck fear in the hearts of Hilltop faithful everywhere. From drug use to flying furniture, this year’s sophomores had their adjustment period. The class wasn’t bad enough to be called an ugly duckling, but that swan isn’t anywhere around, either. If these were the students who we would have to turn the reigns over to, the Hilltop was going to be pulled into a horse-drawn hell.

Whatever that class lacked in composure and good will, it made up for in spirit. The rambunctious group made its presence felt everywhere, including sporting events and traditional programs. Luckily, they matured into spirited, yet self-controlled, sophomores.

It appears these first-years matured over their summer prior to coming here. SMU has not seen a class take such an initiative to enhance the university in some time. First-years have taken leadership positions and have respected each other for much of the year. Sure there are your occasional broken benches and school yard pranks, but as a collective body, the class of 2006 has enhanced SMU’s reputation.

As a crop of students prepare their farewell speeches and polish up their dissertations, it’s a natural reaction to look around and evaluate what the near future of the university holds. Somehow, it seems every extreme personality gets replaced and all of the leadership positions are filled by new faces yet to realize the amount of change they can or can’t make. Leaders and partyers alike burn out after four and five years, respectively. Someone has to carry on where someone else leaves off. The joy of graduation and the relief of seeing the bright future that the underclassmen can forge leaves the university with a bittersweet feeling.

Congratulations to the class of 2006. Your transition into this community was fairly painless for the rest of us. You handled yourself well thus far and the Hilltop thanks you for it. Bridle your ambition and continue to learn – in and out of the classroom.

In the future, if you absolutely have to inflict harm on defenseless furniture like your predecessors, go off campus. But in the meantime, Ed Board is glad you’re here. And we promise to piss you off as much as we have everyone else who has come through this community. Just remember, it’s out of upperclass love.