“Jack the Giant Slayer” takes fairytale to the big screen

Courtesy of accesshowbiz.com
“Jack the Giant Slayer” stars Nicholas Hoult, Ewan McGregor, Eleanor Tomlinson and Stanley Tucci.

“Jack the Giant Slayer” stars Nicholas Hoult, Ewan McGregor, Eleanor Tomlinson and Stanley Tucci. (Courtesy of accesshowbiz.com)

Nicholas Hoult is back on the big screen again after his February movie release titled “Warm Bodies.”

Alongside Hoult in the new movie “Jack the Giant Slayer” is Stanley Tucci, Eleanor Tomlinson and Ewan McGregor.

It centers on a farm boy played by Hoult who makes it his job to rescue the princess of his medieval town from evil giants.

A war ensues between the two creatures and extends the classic fairytale of “Jack and the Beanstalk.”

The giants are all simulated, so if you are interested in 3-D movies you may enjoy them jumping out at you throughout the film.

Recently in movies the idea of bringing fairytales to life on the big screen has been a constant theme.

In the upcoming year expect to see “Arabian Nights” with Liam Hemsworth, Guillermo del Toro’s “Pinocchio,” “Maleficent” with Angelina Jolie, Juno Temple and Elle Fanning, “Sleeping Beauty” starring Hailee Steinfeld and “The Little Mermaid” directed by Joe Wright.

Over the past two years there have been a number of movies of that genre released such as “Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters,” “Jack the Giant Slayer,” “Red Riding Hood” and “Snow White and the Huntsman.”

“Jack the Giant Slayer” could have ended a number of times, but instead it droned on making the movie two hours and seven minutes long.

Bryan Singer directed the mostly British cast. Singer is known for “Superman Returns” and the “X-Men” movies.
This family adventure was retold in a darker way than expected.

At the same time the film has its humorous moments.

Singer commented on the reason he wanted to do the film, “I had never done something like this before. The first movie that took place before electric lights, the first movie in 3-D, I wanted a challenge, and I wanted something different. We used set extensions and all kinds of CG.”

The beanstalk was a real piece in the movie, which was helpful for the actors to really put themselves into their characters because in most scenes they had to act against a green screen or imagine what was supposed to be occurring.

Overall, if you need to take some kids that you babysit to see a movie, this would suffice.

“Jack the Giant Slayer” is in theaters now.