We can all learn from monks

No, this is not about what we can learn from the popular television series “Monk,” but rather what the crisis in Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, can teach Americans. It shows better than most current events how difficult it is for citizens of a country to reclaim centralized power from a small group of people.

Most people agree the military junta’s suppression of the pro-democracy demonstrations led by Buddhist monks is a travesty. The leaked video footage from a violent rally crackdown proves the brutality of the military regime.

The ruling junta in Myanmar controls nearly every aspect of daily life from the media to prices of daily goods. When gas prices doubled overnight, the monks and democrats hit the streets to protest the military government.

In spite of tens of thousands of brave people in the streets led by spiritual leaders, the protests did not stand a chance. The junta has all of the power and can even resist the will of the majority.

This international tragedy should make us all proud and thankful to be Americans. For all of our government system’s flaws, is there a better system in the world that will always fight for justice and basic human rights of its citizens?

The monks’ struggle against the powerful junta proves that centralized power is difficult to overthrow. The crisis is far from over, but the military has controlled Burma since 1962 and shows no signs of giving up.

While Americans should be thankful for our government system, we should never let down our guard. Threats to our Constitution’s separation of powers come from abroad and within.

One of the greatest threats we face now is fear. We seem to fear nearly everything and consequently allow our government too much power. We all seem willing to sacrifice a little liberty for some security.

These sacrifices do not mean we will ever fall into a situation like the Burmese. However, America needs to have courage in the face of danger like the monks of Burma.

If we make sure Americans stay free of government oppression, then people struggling for suffrage will at least have hope. Hope may not sound like much, but it is enough to keep a resistance movement going in Burma in spite of daunting challenges.

The conflict in Myanmar reveals the best and worst sides of humanity, while providing a chilling reminder of how lucky we are to call America home.