Mustangs look to take down Marshall

Midfielder Bruno Guarda battles for the ball against Missouri State in last Wednesdays game at Wescott Field.
Stuart Palley
Midfielder Bruno Guarda battles for the ball against Missouri State in last Wednesday’s game at Wescott Field.

Midfielder Bruno Guarda battles for the ball against Missouri State in last Wednesday’s game at Wescott Field. (Stuart Palley)

The SMU men’s soccer team (6-2-2) will take on the Marshall Thundering Herd (7-3-1) on Saturday at 6 p.m. The Mustangs are currently second in the conference standings, while the Herd is third after winning their only conference game.

The Thundering Herd has been on a hot streak after winning six of their last seven games. The team started the season with only a 1-3 record before turning its season around.

After the Herd’s goalkeeper Brad Kennedy was injured at the beginning of the season, junior Craig Ratanamorn took over the starting job. He has dominated nearly all of his starts with a 5-0-1 record and a conference leading .51 goals against average.

Junior forward Kolby LaCrone leads the solid Herd offensive attack which has averaged 2.09 goals per game. LaCrone leads the Herd in both goals scored with six and points with 13.

Defensively, the Thundering Herd has been a stingy group over the past six games with Ratanamorn in goal. Preseason All-Conference player Jeff Lenix leads the backline of the Herd. He has played in every game, except for one, in his four years at Marshall.

Leading the Mustangs this season are tri-captains Bruno Guarda, Ben Shuleva and Scott Corbin.The defensive midfielder Shuleva has been on a scoring hot streak lately, finding the back of the net in two of his last three games.

A Mustang who has stepped it up in the face of injuries is sophomore goalkeeper Craig Hill. Hill has made his first two starts of his career in the past two games while filling in for injured Steve Sandbo. He has allowed only one goal in his two starts.

Junior forward Richard Oliva now leads the Mustangs in goals scored with five, after moving ahead of Guarda. Oliva brings a combination of toughness and size to the Mustangs offensive attack that has been hampered by injuries.

Last season, the Mustangs beat the Herd 1-0. Even though the Herd will have revenge on their mind, the Mustangs will be looking for their third shutout of the season.