Men without Integrity

Ed Board thinks this group needs to be more productive

SMU has many groups who dedicate their time to various causes and strive to improve society.

Men with Integrity is a well-intentioned group, based upon a novel concept, but all they seem to do is talk.

Actions speak louder than words, gentlemen.

This week is MWI’s Week of Integrity. If you’ve been past the flagpole, you’ve seen the formidable-looking black prism with names all over it.

MWI is encouraging students to sign this “Wall of Integrity” to acknowledge that yes, there is abuse out there.

Well, now what?

Ed Board fails to see how acknowledging that there’s violent crime against women, by standing around and talking about it, does anything to improve the situation.

We’re past the point of needing to raise awareness of rape and sexual assault.

This group has solicited the financial support numerous groups including Student Foundation and Student Senate, but Ed Board questions the use of these funds.

If you want to make an impact and help the cause you obviously are so adamant about, why not hold events that actually have an impact on your cause?

MWI needs to put its money where its mouth is. It is no longer a new organization. It now has the stability to do good in the community by raising money for worthy organizations.

Sigma Phi Omega’s golf tournament this Saturday is a great idea, but MWI can and should come up with some of its own fundraisers to support its cause – they can do more than asking for one or two dollars to take pictures for a mural.

If this is supposed to be an SMU thing, MWI needs to be raising funds on campus. If Gamma Phi can sell Lemon Chills and Kappa can sell hot dogs, then surely MWI can come up with something simple and easy to engage the community and raise some cash. If it’s too expensive to buy food to sell, what about soliciting donations from local businesses and grocery stores? Or selling homemade baked goods?

MWI needs to recognize that writing on walls and making daylong truces are a good first step in stopping sexual assault, but that’s all it is – a first step.

We applaud MWI’s honorable intentions. Trying to do something about the level of sexual violence in this country is no easy task.

With that in mind, a certain amount of planning is vital to successfully making societal changes.

While raising awareness about rape and abuse is necessary to progress toward a solution, it’s not sufficient in and of itself.

Ed Board hopes that MWI knows this and is planning to incorporate more active, hands-on projects for the SMU community.