Letter to the Editor

I am in total uproar about the sanctioning of Playboy being able to recruit my sisters, the young women of this campus, for its degrading pictorial. Some could say, “It is their [SMU young women] bodies and their will; let them do what they want.”

We should realize some people are weak, vulnerable and don’t even know it. Playboy is taking advantage of these young women through their weakness and vulnerability. Beyond that I am disappointed in the Southern Methodist University administration for allowing Playboy to even have the chance to recruit our young women.

Playboy being allowed to have an ad in the Daily Campus promotes such objectification of all women. This shows, in my opinion, how Southern Methodist University views each and every woman that has ever attended, worked at or admired our university.

We seem to have a problem when a woman is raped but seem to be okay with the objectification of women which is associated with most rapes. We are all killing ourselves softly, men and women alike. We must keep in mind that natural human life begins inside of a woman. Shouldn’t that be cherished?

Chris Polk

[email protected]

Editor’s Response:

For clarification, the Playboy auditions are not a SMU sanctioned event. They will occur off campus and are not supported or endorsed by SMU in any way.

In addition, SMU was not involved whatsoever with the advertisement that appeared in Tuesday’s edition of The Daily Campus. The DC is owned and operated by an independent corporation, and SMU has no control over content, editorial or advertisement, that appears in the paper.