Bennett revamps defense during bye week

Head coach Phil Bennett had words with the officials at the end of the first half against UTEP. The Mustangs went on to lose the game in overtime.
John Schreiber

Head coach Phil Bennett had words with the officials at the end of the first half against UTEP. The Mustangs went on to lose the game in overtime. (John Schreiber)

In the topsy-turvy world of Conference USA, SMU still has a chance. Actually, a better one than people would think considering the play of all of the other teams two weeks into conference play.

But SMU head coach Phil Bennett said that doesn’t matter unless the Mustangs come ready to play against a struggling Southern Miss team.

And that means improving the defense and special teams play.

“Defensively, basically, we just stunk,” Bennett said at his first weekly press conference since the 48-45 overtime loss to UTEP. “And that’s hard to say, but as I told them, we have to get that sense of urgency to get better. “

During the off week, Bennett and the coaches decided to shake up the starting lineup and shift players around at linebacker.

MLB Tony Hawkins is out. Bennett said he didn’t get much play from him during the UTEP game.

“We didn’t feel like it was best suited for Tony Hawkins to be inside,” Bennett said.

In his place is either Will Bonilla or Wilton McCary – both have played outside linebacker this season.

Bennett and the defensive staff was unsure of who would win the job as they headed into Tuesday’s practice, but expected a final decision to be made in time for Wednesday’s practice. Bennett has said Hawkins will play outside linebacker for the remainder of the season.

The entire defense worked on tackling during the off week. Bennett said poor tackling cost SMU a win because they were unable to wrap up and bring down UTEP players late in the game. The closer the Miners got, the worse the defense played.

“We panicked a little bit,” Bennett said. “I thought it led to some missed tackles. “

The kicking game, one of the few bright spots early in the season, is also struggling. Thomas Morstead missed a 25-yard field goal and didn’t get to attempt a second one when the snap was botched.

“Those six points made a difference,” Bennett said. UTEP tied the game in the final minute and won during the first session of overtime.

Morstead also struggled with his punts, continuing a trend from the TCU game when a punt was blocked and returned for a touchdown. He averaged 33.5 yards on his two punts, nearly 15 yards off his average for the season. Bennett believes Morstead is capable of better.

“I was very disappointed in the fact that we punted so poorly,” Bennett said. “We needed field position and we didn’t get it.”

Overall, Bennett said the team got a lot out of the time off and was able to evaluate where things stand headed into the meat of conference play. Three of SMU’s next four games will be on the road. But the parity in Conference USA gives the team some hope that its 1-4 record won’t hold them back.

“You look at this conference right now and there is just no standout team,” Bennett said.

He said it is possible the champion from C-USA’s western division could have two or as many as three losses. But a loss at Southern Miss would put SMU in a huge hole: 0-2 in conference play.

Bennett believes SMU’s conference games will be close. To avoid falling short, like against UTEP, Bennett said SMU needs to make plays on both sides of the ball and learn how to win the close games.

“It’s anybody’s for the taking,” Bennett said. “If you get hot and get on a roll at the right time, good things can happen for you.”

The Mustangs will get a chance to get their first Conference USA win this weekend when the team travels to Hattiesburg, Miss., to take on the Golden Eagles of Southern Miss. (John Schreiber)