Potential employers to come to campus

Students will be able to meet and greet various companies on Thursday, Sept. 16 at the Career and Internship Fair from noon to 4 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Ballroom.

The fair, hosted by the Hegi Family Career Development Center, BBA Career Services and the MBA Career Management Center, features representatives from over 70 companies with whom students will be able to network.

According to Caryn Statman, assistant director for the Hegi Family Career Development Center, students at any level can benefit from the upcoming fair.

“Being able to talk to company recruiters and representatives in person puts a face and personality to your resume and gives students a chance to learn what it is the company is looking for and how its hiring process works,” she said.

And while the fair offers this practice and job opportunities, students don’t need to feel pressured make a commitment before walking out.

“Even if you are not sure you want to apply for the positions at a certain company, the Career and Internship Fair is a place to practice your communications skills and how to present yourself professionally,” Statman said.

Students wanting to attend should bring several copies of their resumes and SMU student IDs.

The Career Centers recommend dressing in professional attire.

Statman suggests reviewing the list of participating employers before attending the fair in order to know what to expect.

“Also,” she said, “practice your ‘elevator speech,’ or introduction of yourself, as recruiters will be looking for the student to initiate the conversation, not the other way around.”

Students should also do whatever they can to stand out among the crowd.

“Students should get business cards from any employers they are seriously interested in and send them a thank-you note that mentions something they talked about at the fair,” she said. “The professionals will be talking to a lot of students at the fair so try to mention something that was unique about your conversation.”

Students can find the list of participating employers—and also search for available job positions—through the Hegi Family Career Development Center’s website at www.smu.edu/career.