Volleyball goes 1-1 during weekend conference road trip

The SMU women’s volleyball team went 1-1 again this weekend against conference opponents UAB and Memphis. A victory over UAB and a loss to Memphis makes the Mustangs 12-11 for the season, 3-6 in C-USA play. SMU edged UAB in Birmingham on Friday night 3-0 (30-21, 30-20, 30-29). Junior Caitlin Rainbird notched her 11th double-double of the season with 15 kills and 12 digs. Sophomore Natalie Peters posted seven kills and eight blocks in the match, a career high for her. Junior Rachel Giubilato put herself in the stat books with 10 kills and nine digs while Stefanie Kons had 44 assists, tying her career-high. Freshman Candice Davis had 15 digs in the three-game match. The Mustangs played well both offensively and defensively against UAB as they handed the Blazers their first loss at home for the season. Blocks made by Rainbird and Peters, along with digs by Davis and Madison Hill contributed to SMU’s victory over the Blazers. UAB is 14-9 for the season and 2-6 in C-USA play after losing to SMU and Tulsa this weekend. The Mustangs didn’t fair as well against the Tigers of Memphis on Sunday. SMU fell in four games 3-1 (30-20, 30-18, 24-30, 30-26). The Mustangs again played a solid overall game, but the Tigers were too much for them to handle. After beating both Tulsa and SMU, Memphis players Sarah Bury and Christen Clayton were named the C-USA Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week. Memphis’ weekend wins made the team 19-4 for the season and 5-3 in conference play. In the loss, Rainbird posted her second consecutive and 12th overall double-double with 12 kills and 10 digs. Freshman Kendra Kahanek added 13 kills and four blocks, while fellow rookie Dominique Ouellette contributed three digs. In game one, there were five lead changes and five ties. Game three was the only time that SMU was able to take the lead and hold on to it. The Mustangs had 18 kills in game three, giving them a .342 average. SMU volleyball returns to Dallas this week for a re-match against both Tulane and UTEP.