Football players maced by DPD

Zack+Sledge
Christina Parrish
Zack Sledge

Zack Sledge (Christina Parrish)

Two SMU football players were arrested this weekend after an incident early Sunday morning during a football players’ party at Metro Grill.

“Runnin’ with the ‘Stangs” host senior Duke Hasson and junior wide receiver Zach Sledge were taken into police custody and released around 11 a.m. the same day according to Dallas Police reports obtained by The Daily Campus.

Both were charged with public intoxication.

But the police report has Hasson charged with assault on a police officer – not Sledge, as was reported in Monday editions of The Dallas Morning News.

The episode occured days after quarterback Justin Willis was reinstated after a suspension due to an incident at an off-campus gathering before the UT-El Paso game.

SMU Athletics officials had no official comment, but the situation is being dealt with internally. As of Monday, neither player had been suspended for Saturday’s game against East Carolina.

Dallas Police say they responded to a disturbance call at the bar at 1:30 a.m.

According to a witness at the scene who wished to remain anonymous, the disturbance began when two male students got into an altercation. Hasson reportedly knew one of the students and took them outside to try and resolve the situation.

By the time police arrived on the scene, the dispute was in the parking lot. According to a witness, police maced the two students and Hasson and handcuffed him.

When that occurred, Sledge came outside to talk with the officers. The witness said the police officer did not respond to Sledge, so Sledge tapped the officer on the shoulder.

The officer responded by putting Sledge on the ground, spraying him with mace and eventually handcuffing him.

Another witness said that they later observed officers pouring water over Sledge’s face, presumably to rinse out the mace.

Sledge caught a 7-yard touchdown pass last Saturday against Marshall. He is the sixth-ranked receiver for SMU in passing yards.

Hasson is the holder for field goals and is on punt coverage in addition to signaling plays from the sideline.

Duke Hasson (Christina Parrish)