SMU places top in Recyclemania

The 10-week competition for the green—recycling—has come to an end. SMU students proved how eco-friendly they are by placing in the top 15 percent nationally in the per capita division of Recyclemania.

SMU collected a total of 119 tons of recyclables, up 41 tons from last year. Each member of the SMU community recycled 18.15 pounds.

The university also placed first in the per capita division of Texas Private Schools and second in Texas Private Schools in the targeted material division, according to Eric English, SMU’s environmental manager.

I believe all students, faculty and staff should be very proud of how we finished in the Recyclemania competition this year considering this is our second year of competing,” English said. “However, we should not be satisfied, and we should strive to be a University that is seen as leaders in sustainability. Our future and our students’ future depend on it.”

Nationally, SMU placed 54 of 363 schools in the per capita division and 159 of 230 schools in the targeted material division.

The per capita division includes cans, paper and plastic while the targeted material division consists of only corrugated cardboard.

During the 10-week period, SMU saved 487,900 KWh of energy; 833,000 gallons of water; and 2,023 trees, according to English.

Students, faculty and staff were asked to recycle as much as possible from Jan. 23 until April 2 in the blue bins placed in classrooms and residence halls.

This was the first year residence halls competed to see which hall could recycle the most.

“Our students really stepped up this year and got involved, such as with the residence hall recycle competition and the fashion show,” English said. “I hope that we can really get our Greek houses involved next year. I believe that will be the key to getting us over the top to be the best university in Texas when it comes to recycling.”

The residence hall winner of the 2011 competition went to Perkins Hall; the academic/athletic facility winner went to Bridwell Library; and, the area/school winner went to Central Library. 

Plaques will be presented to Bridwell Library and Central Libraries at the President’s Picnic in May.

This was the second year SMU participated in the nationwide, intercollegiate competition.