Hook up at CollegeLuv.com

Web site offers dating service to students

Some people call college the next frontier. However, it’s a little hard to explore the frontier alone. Being an introvert doesn’t have to stop you from meeting people at your school anymore. Unless you’ve been oblivious for the past few months, you’ve been impeded, if not bombarded by online dating. The student’s time has arrived.

CollegeLuv.com is a dating service expressly targeted to college students. It is the child of Matchnet plc, a British corporation that is marketed through CollegeClub.com.

“CollegeLuv.com is not meant to replace the social scene on campus but enhance it and provide another alternative for college students to expand their social circles,” Gail Laguna, vice president of corporate communications for Matchnet plc, said. “CollegeLuv is not only to find a date for Friday night, but study partners, friends with similar interests, or fraternity brothers in other cities.”

Membership to the site is free and users are allowed to create extremely detailed profiles with multiple photos and browse other members’ profiles.

However, to contact other members a subscription must be purchased. Currently a subscriptions are $9.99 per month during the site’s launch promotion.

If you’re a non-subscribing member the most you can do is search for matches, explore the chat rooms and send a “tease” to provoke a member to come check your profile. You can respond to instant messages and e-mails sent by subscribers, but you can’t initiate them.

CollegeLuv.com boasts more than 500,000 registered users to date. A few students approached the site with apathy, though.

“I was just bored. I can meet people in real life,” user Bishop0396 of the University of Missouri–Columbia, said.

A user named Sabastian that attends the University of North Texas expressed the same indifference, but he said the site was “okay.”

Apparently an average of 300 students are “bored” enough to be signed in at CollegeLuv.com 11 p.m. on three consecutive evenings.

Laguna said site membership grows more daily, and the company plans to include more activities to its community.

“We plan to roll-out other marketing initiatives in the coming months, including on campus promotions and exclusive CollegeLuv travel opportunities,” she said.

So if you’re hiding under the guise of boredom or are an active subscriber, CollegeLuv.com wants to help you “sign up, look up and hook up.”