Richter International Fellowships

The University Honors Program at SMU offerering Richter International Fellowships funded by the Paul K. and Evelyn E. Cook Richter Memorial Funds. They are designed to support independent research by students in the University Honors Program with the guidance of the faculty.

SMU is one of only 12 universities that benefit from this program.

Richter Fellowships emphasize multicultural research, but are available to students from all disciplines. Students from virtually all areas of study within SMU have been able to apply their knowledge from the classroom to real-world research experience in a diverse array of fields including: advertising, art history, medicine, anthropology, social policy, economics, theater, developmental psychology and many others.

Funding from the Richter Trusts allows the University Honors Program to make between 10 and a dozen grants of up to $6,000 annually to students who have nearly completed or have already completed University Honors Program requirements.

When students return to the United States, they are encouraged to publish their findings in national journals and present their research formally to the SMU community.

This experience is unique to the University Honors Program and is only available to University Honors Program students.

There is no boundary on where students can take their research. Since SMU received the grants in Fall 2000, 29 students have been able to conduct research all over the world, traveling to places such as Macedonia, Germany, China, Ireland, Spain, England, Cuba, Iran, French Polynesia and Kenya.

Richter International Fellowships
Summer 2003 Project Summaries

• Kelly Butler – An Investigation into the Aims and Achievements of Christian Evangelical Missions in Latin America
  • Reshma Dhanani – “A Story Untold . . .” A Study of the Ugandan Asian Expulsion of 1972
    London, England; Vancouver and Toronto, Canada
  • McCall Dorr – Culture’s Consequences in Australian Swimming
    Melbourne, Canberra, and Sydney, Australia
  • Brian Frederick – Multiculturalism in Theatre Today
    Avignon, France; Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Caroline Gardner – Transformation of the Waterfront: The architectural mirror of progress, the presence of regionalism, and the effects of tourism
    Cape Town, South Africa
  • Tyler Gusich – U Pandita and Vipassana meditation
    U Pandita’s Monastery, Burma
  • Erika Helm and Meredith Riggs – Holocaust Memorials: Do they serve their purpose aesthetically and historically?
    Amsterdam, Netherlands; Berlin, Hamburg, and Munich, Germany; Warsaw and Krakow, Poland; Prague, Czech Republic; Paris, France
  • Minoo Karimirad – Women in Education and the Medical Professions in Iran
    Tehran and Ahvaz, Iran
  • Todd Lindley and Kevin Schubert – The Changing Landscape of Global Warming Protection Post Kyoto
    London and Oxford, England; Madrid and Barcelona, Spain; Florence, Venice, and Pisa, Italy;
  • Remy McElroy – Should Scotland Be Free? A Study of United Kingdom Politics and Scottish Independence
    Edinburgh, Scotland; London, England
  • Eric Olsen – The Legacy of the Spanish Civil War in Present-Day Spanish Culture
    Madrid, Barcelona, and Bilbao, Spain
  • Kathleen A. Riggs – Aubrey Beardsley’s Yellow Book within London’s “Yellow Nineties”
    London, England
  • Alba Sereno – Documenting Preparations for the Chile-US Free Trade Agreement in Light of NAFTA
    Monterrey, Mexico; Santiago, Chile
  • David Spielman – Constructing the Japanese Homosexual
    Tokyo and Kyoto, Japan
  • Amanda Taylor – U.S. State Department Diplomacy Message Pilot Test
    London, England
  • Emily Trekell – Sociolinguistics of Australian English
    Adelaide, Warnambool, Melbourne, Canberra, and Sydney, Australia