Volleyball on the road

SMU volleyball continues on the road this weekend as they face UAB and Memphis. The Mustangs are 11-10 so far this season and 2-5 in conference play. Both UAB and Memphis are C-USA opponents.

SMU and UAB met twice in 2005, once in regular season play and again in the first round of the C-USA tournament. The Mustangs beat the Blazers both times, knocking them out of the conference tournament.

This season, UAB is 14-7 for the season and 2-4 against C-USA opponents. Setter Nevena Stefanov had 66 assists in the Blazers’ 2-3 loss to Marshall on Sunday. Her career high performance moved her to eighth on the UAB all-time career high list.

Sophomore outside hitters Ivana Bozic and Aleksandra Vujovic each posted double-doubles against Marshall. Bozic had 23 kills and 11 digs while Vujovic nailed 21 kills and led the match with 17 digs.

After UAB, the Mustangs head to Memphis, Tenn., to meet the Tigers in the Elma Roane Fieldhouse. Memphis beat Belmont in a non-conference match on Tuesday, giving head coach Carrie Yerty her 200th career win.

Unlike SMU and UAB, Memphis’ defense played a large part in their victory over Belmont. Sophomore Sarah Bury got two solo blocks while teammate had a career high 11 blocks in addition to her 14 kills. Memphis and SMU met once in 2005 with the Mustangs taking a 3-0 victory.

The SMU volleyball team is coming off a 1-1 weekend against Tulane and UTEP. The Mustangs were able to pull out a win against the Miners in El Paso on Sunday, but fell under the Green Wave on Friday night.

The Mustangs return to Dallas on Oct. 20 for a rematch against Tulane.