Letters to the Editor

Regarding Travis Mahan

Dear Editor:

I was extremely disappointed by the article written by Veronica Terefenko is regards to Travis Mahan. I was told that the Daily Campus has a policy of not allowing people who know those involved in incidents to write the articles. Under that criterion, Ms. Terefenko is not qualified to have written the article in the first place. However, having done so, she should have taken precautions to correctly represent the few personal comments included in the story, however, here again she failed to show journalistic integrity. I am told a woman felt herself to have been misquoted. Another person quoted in the article, who will remain anonymous, says they never said what was quoted.

Journalism is more than merely stating facts. The ability to balance the facts with respect for those close to the victim determines a quality article and journalist. I do believe it was beneficial for students to hear from Police Captain M.C. Brock regarding the fact that had he been wearing a helmet, he may still be alive today. This information may help to save other lives, and I feel it is appropriate to have including this in the article. However, 12 paragraphs dedicated to the details about what stop signs were run at what street corners provides no beneficial information to those reading the article and instead only draws attention on the last hour of Travis’s life instead of the 20 years that he spent bringing happiness to those around him. She shamefully chose to focus on how Travis died instead of how he lived. She showed a complete lack of consideration for Travis’s family and friends.

I understand that a newspaper has a right to report the facts, however, this poorly written article was hard to understand. The details of the accident appear muddled, showing an obvious lack of research done by the journalist. The article begins by giving the specific address of where Travis died and continued with a “play by play” of Travis’s route along several streets. Although of course this information is important for a police report, it seems inappropriate and disrespectful to be included on the front page of a student newspaper. People wishing to see the report could have found that information elsewhere.

The space should have instead been dedicated to the memory of Travis. Ms.Terefenko told Bryan Wolf that the article was going to be used as a memorial to Travis, which is why he agreed to being quoted for the article. He is extremely upset that instead, the majority of the article was the police report. It would have taken very little effort for an outpouring of loving memories to be gathered by those who knew him, and I am sure that this is the information that would have been more welcome in the article. Those who did not know him could have had a glimpse at the wonderful person Travis was and why he will be so greatly missed. He touched many lives and was loved by many. Instead, people are left with the impression of a reckless young man. This article did no justice to the well-liked gentlemen that Travis was. I wish people could have been given an article lamenting his amazing character and loving personality. I hope in the future, more consideration will be taken in representing individuals.

Sara Goodrich
Sophomore

Dear Editor:

We are all saddened when a young person dies, especially when it is in an accident that could have been prevented. However, this grief should not lead us to attack the journalist who reported this horrible incident.

A journalist cannot defame a person’s character without fabricating information. I have seen the police reports of which this story was based. This young man made a series of irresponsible decisions that lead to his death. Travis Mahan was an adult, capable of making his own choices. Unfortunately, he chose badly.

A journalist should not have to “sugar coat” a story just because a person has died. Death does not automatically make someone a saint or immune to criticism.

It is to this journalist’s credit that she reported, though it upset her profusely, the sad truth behind her friend’s death.

She could have chosen to ignore the harsh circumstances like it seems many of his friends and family have done.

However, she was true to the principles that all journalists should abide by.

The public should know the truth, not only because the of freedom that our constitution gives the press, but because Travis Mahan’s death will remind us that we are not immortal, and that our decision have consequences, sometime even fatal ones.

Christine Kendrick
Junior anthropology major