FASHION FLASH

FASHION FLASH

Disclaimer: This article does not apply to anyone who wears tights and/or leggings for practical purposes (i.e. dancers, people coming from or going to a work out, or individuals in physically active classes).

So why is it that some girls at SMU no longer find it necessary to wear pants? You all know what I’m writing about: leggings.

I would like to point out that leggings or tights alone are not independent bottoms. I know that I am not the only one sick of seeing way too much of the student body. It does not matter how skinny or physically fit you are, there is nothing trashier than a girl giving it all away before you’ve even talked to her. Please leave something to the imagination, because without something covering those tights, (even the thicker ones) we can see absolutely everything.

Girls aren’t the only ones with modesty problems; it’s some of the guys on campus too. The same issue encountered with leggings in the girl world takes new meaning when guys feel no need to wear undergarments with basketball shorts.

Once again, nothing is left to the imagination. When we are trying to concentrate for midterms and finals, that is one distraction I would prefer to do without. All you have to do is put on a proper pair of underwear or slip into some trendy cargo shorts. Trust me, it would make the world a much better place.

On the other hand, tights and leggings are one of the top 10 trendy items this season. When wearing a great pair of brown tights with sexy lace trims, throw on a skirt or Bermudas over them. People will be more impressed with your ability to mix and match, rather than having to look at your… parts.

Another great way to wear leggings is with a short, sexy dress. The right outfit can either dress them up for a swanky party, or down for your 9:00 a.m.

The best policy to take with leggings or tights is “if you wouldn’t wear it without the tights, you shouldn’t wear it at all.” And to all of you that say that it’s too much effort in the morning, please consider some of my dancer friends. They often get up for grueling 8:00 classes, and although they don’t have to (in my opinion), many jump into darling ensembles over their leotards and leggings, putting those lazy legging-only girls to shame.

With leggings and tights in every color, shape, size and price, they are the perfect addition to any wardrobe.

Be forewarned: tights and leggings are not stand-alone products: they must be worn with a decent covering. The best use of footless tights I have seen was on the comedian Margaret Cho. With a great tea-length taffeta dress and Cavalli patched boots, never have I been witness to a better use of tights (they would have looked equally as stunning with some structured flats).

The other day, ranting about tights as I was, a girlfriend of mine overheard me and told me her opinion on the subject. We went back and forth for a bit on the subject until I told her what I had seen earlier that day (let’s just say it was too much for me to handle), and she responded, “I know right.” It was then I knew I had to share my prospective with the DC’s loyal readers.

If you have an opinion about something, I encourage you to share it, otherwise nothing will change, and your voice will not be heard.