Sizzling summer sounds scorch states

Music festivals offer audiences an array of eclectic listening options, outdoor living experience and cross-country road trips

Wisconsin

Jump in the car and make the journey to Black River Falls, Wis., to be a part of the 16th annual Big Wu Family Reunion, May 23-25. The festival includes three days of camping and great bands – Tea Leaf Green, Donna the Buffalo, The Derek Trucks Band, Particle and Dallas’ own olospo. Of course, The Big Wu will play all three days.

Tickets are $80.00 and there is a $10 camping fee at the NCC Campgrounds. To purchase tickets or for more information log onto www.bigwu.com.

When you go, don’t forget to bring non-perishable food items to donate to this year’s House of Wu Helping Hands Food Drive.

New York

It’s early June and you’ve been home three weeks – just enough to make you realize how much living with your parents is like getting your nipple pierced. It’s fine for some, but a painful experience for most. Take advantage of what parental goodwill still lingers and talk them into funding a much-needed trip to Long Island, N.Y. Why Long Island, you might ask? For the Field Day Music Festival 2003.

June 7-8 sees the likes of Radiohead, Beck, Beastie Boys, Interpol, The Roots, Blur and N.E.R.D. take the stage for a two-day music, art and camping extravaganza. And don’t forget to pay your respects to Dallas natives, The Polyphonic Spree, while enjoying the New York atmosphere. One-day passes, $85, and two-day passes, $190, are available at www.ticketmaster.com.

Ohio

Spring Hookahville 2003 offers fans eclectic music at a three-day festival at Frontier Ranch in Kirkersville, Ohio, featuring ekoostik hookah who plays sets on Friday and Saturday. The guys will be joined by special guests: the legendary Old In the Gray, the R&B heritage of New Orleans’s Neville Brothers, guitar phenom Derek Trucks and his band, as well as Particle and Blue Oyster Cult.

Tickets are currently available at all Ticketmaster outlets for $70. Any remaining tickets will be available at the front gate of the event beginning May 23rd for $80. Camping is included in the ticket price. For more information log onto www.hookahville.com

California

Ozzfest is back this summer with America’s favorite TV dad still rocking after three decades of madness. Also on the mainstage will be urban hip-hop and death metal mix masters KORN, Marylin Manson, Disturbed and Chevelle.

This year’s stage two acts will include Cradle of Filth, Voivod, Depswa, Endo, grade 8, Hotwire, Killswitch Engage, Marz, Memento, Motograter, Nothingface, Unloco, Twisted Method, Sworn Enemy and Shadows Fall.

Catch Ozzfest as it sweeps the South, in Dallas June 29, and heads for San Diego, Calif., July 3. Tickets range from $45-95.

Texas

Jay-Z and 50 Cent hit the road in late June to kick off their Roc the Mic Tour. The tour includes different lineups of opening acts such as Missy Elliott, Busta Rhymes, Fabolous, Sean Paul, Snoop Dogg and Lil’ Mo. It ends Aug. 5 at the Hi-Fi Buys Amphitheatre in Atlanta.

The tour will kick off on June 25 at Hartford, Connecticut’s ctnow.com Meadows Music Centre.

In the meantime, 50 will continue on his own road show. Catch the duo at one of their four Texas stops – they hit Dallas on July 31.

Tennessee

Fan Fair, the world’s biggest country music festival, is four days of music and celebration in downtown Nashville June 5 – 8. It will include more than 200 country music artists and over 40 hours of concerts.

Trace Adkins, Lonestar, Brooks & Dunn, Kenny Chesney, Billy Ray Cyrus, Sawyer Brown, Diamond Rio, Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson, Wynonna Judd and many more will perform.

For tickets call 1-866-FAN-FAIR (326-3247.) For more information log onto www.fanfair.com.

The 2nd Annual Bonnaroo Music Festival provides everyone a chance to cut loose and get down with three days of camping and live music in rural Manchester, Tenn.

Last year the 300-acre festival grounds played temporary home for more than 40,000 folks from across the country.

This year audiences will enjoy performances by Widespread Panic, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, The Dead (newly reassembled Grateful Dead minus Jerry Garcia) and James Brown, to name a few of the heavyweights.

Local heroes Polyphonic Spree will provide its version of praise and worship.

Tickets for the festival are sold out, but don’t purchase a ticket on eBay for $400. Last year there were people selling tickets up until their cars pulled into the gates.

Bonnaroo brings a variety of artists to the festival to offer something for everyone so that people will be exposed to new and refreshing music.

Aside from the larger rock acts and the highly anticipated “jam” acts performing, Bonnaroo also includes reggae pioneers The Wailers, hip-hop stars Mix Master Mike and The Roots and country acts Emmylou Harris and Nickel Creek.

Bonnaroo goes down June 12- 14 in a field in Tenn. Are you going to be there? Or are going to be sitting on the couch watching TV like every other day of your life?