Upcoming Meadows season offerings

A new performing lineup for Fall 2005

The Meadow’s calendar is crowded with events this fall. From student and faculty performances to a special series of events commemorating the 400th anniversary of the publication of the first part of “Don Quijote,” there will be plenty of occasions to revel in the splendors of art and culture. Beyond special presentations, the continuation of series events such as the Art History Lecture, the Visiting Artist Lecture, Jeanne Roach Johnson, Brown Bag, Margo Jones and Main Stage series promise to bring as much excitement and delight this season as they have in the past.

The season starts strong in September with the opening of the exhibition “Weaving the Legend of Don Quijote: 18th Century Tapestries for the Royal Court of Spain” on Sept. 15. The exhibition will include 19 tapestries as large as 13 by 17 feet as well as books, paintings, illustrations and various other media involving the adventures of Don Quijote. This is the first of several events, including the gallery performance “Spinning Tales of Don Quijote” on Sept. 30 and Oct. 21 and three gallery talks. “Don Quijote: Four Hundred Years of Laughter and Tears” will be presented along with “Miguel De Cervantes: His Life and Times” on Nov. 3 and “Weaving the Legend of Don Quijote” on Nov. 4.

However, the “Don Quijote” events are not the only exciting things in store for the community this fall. “Fiesta Espanola: A Celebration of Spanish Art and Dance” on Sept. 22 offers an experience in Spanish culture that will include flamenco performances and lessons, gallery tours and refreshments. Another special exhibition, “Drawing From Life: Steve Mumford in Iraq, 2003-2004,” is opening Oct. 6. Mumford will be giving a lecture on opening day to discuss his drawings and experiences in Iraq.

Meadows is also honoring the memory of Margo Jones with a symposium on Oct. 1 that includes special guest speakers Helen Sheehy, author of “Margo: the Life and Theatre of Margo Jones,” theatre historian Don Wilmeth and Henry Woronicz, who is not only a veteran of Broadway and television but will also be a guest director in the Division of Theatre, among others. Voices of Change will once again be honoring our campus with an appearance on Nov. 13.

Two shows that are always the highlight of the fall season are Brown Bag, Sept. 26-30, which is a lunchtime dance program with original works created and performed by the students of the Division of Dance, and the Fall Dance Concert, Nov. 3-6 and 10-13, which will include pieces from Martha Graham, George Balanchine and Leni Wylliams, along with a rare piece from Agnes de Mille and a special piece by visiting artist-in-residence Danny Buraczeski.

The season holds a multitude of opportunities to enjoy art and art history lectures. The events include “Brahmsfest,” an exploration of Brahms with special musical performances, on Sept. 15, “Wild by Design,” an investigation into the cultural tradition of women’s textile art, on Sept. 29, and many others. There are three wonderful lectures by Visiting Artist Richard Rezac on Sept. 22, Catherine Murphy on Oct. 18 and Hiede Fasnacht on Nov. 10. Another special event is a gallery talk, “Goya and the Creation of the ‘Four Seasons’ Tapestries for the Prince of Asturias,” on Oct. 27 with interim director Mark A. Roglán.

The Division of Theater will also delight this season with productions including William Inge’s “Picnic,” directed by guest artist Henry Woronicz, Anton Chekhov’s “Three Sisters,” Henrik Ibsen’s “Peer Gynt,” and many more.

A glorious fall season from Meadows Arts awaits. To find out more about these and other upcoming Meadows School of the Arts events, log onto www.smu.edu/meadows or call 214-768-4234. For more information on Meadows Museum events, visit http://www.meadowsmuseumdallas.org or call 214-768-2516.