Men’s soccer goes to Memphis

The Mustangs will look to rebound from their second conference tie.
Heston Mosher

The Mustangs will look to rebound from their second conference tie. (Heston Mosher)

After two consecutive ties, the undefeated SMU men’s soccer team will face the unranked Memphis Tigers on Saturday in Tennessee. SMU remains the only undefeated men’s soccer team in the NCAA. The Tigers have a record of 9-5, but they are only 2-3 in conference play. The Mustangs are No. 1 in the C-USA standings with 11 points and a record of 3-0-2 in conference play.

The Mustangs are looking to win for the first time in two games after tying South Carolina and UCF, both of whom are conference opponents. The Mustangs will have to play an aggressive game against the Tigers who have a strong midfield. Junior Kevin Walsh leads the Tigers’ with 21 points. He has seven goals and seven assists in 14 games.

This season, the Tigers have averaged approximately two goals per game. Strong play in the midfield will be necessary to shut down the Tiger offense. Based on their performances in previous games, the Mustangs should be able to hold the Tigers below their scoring average. The SMU defense has only allowed eight goals in 16 games and posted 11 shutouts so far this season.

The Mustang defense has proven itself to be an integral part to the team’s success and the offense has the potential to make the same impact with more communication and synergy between the players. After Memphis, the Mustangs only have two more conference games before the C-USA tournament in November. SMU takes to the road this week to face Memphis Saturday night and UAB next Wednesday in Alabama.