No home game for football

The weekend without tailgating

Oh wow, it’s finally Friday! What a breath of fresh fall air, what a relief, what a cliché phrase!

But lets be honest here, after two or so weeks of dealing with the stress surrounding midterms, major papers making a decent bed time the thing of ancient folklore, and the only time spent out the classroom being spent working on class, everyone is ready for the weekend. And what a weekend it should be! What with our very own football team playing just down the Boulevard..But, oh wait, they’re in North Carolina this weekend, dear God.

When Saturday rolls around and you roll out of bed just in time to tailgate before the normally scheduled game, with nothing but the sleeping campus there to greet you, what will you have to do?

Well, don’t worry Ed Board has got your back on this one. So if you aren’t traveling to North Carolina, or getting drunk on someone else’s lawn for a change here a few fun alternatives for this away game weekend.

Explore an area other than Dallas. Take a change of pace and venture outside the city’s bounds this weekend. Take a short 40 minute drive over to Fort Worth and see that it actually is a lot more than just some other city that isn’t Dallas.

Tonight check out “Modern ’til Midnight” at the Fort Worth museum of modern art. The evening will feature three bands performing live, including Austin’s own The Octopus Project, two screenings of classic Pedro Almodovar films, celebrated Japanese photographer Hiroshi Sugimoto’s “End of Time” exhibition of some of her greatest work and Café Modern food and Lobby Bar open until the night ends.

Take advantage of the fact that you live in Dallas. As a larger metropolitan area Dallas has everything to offer when entertainment is concerned. Make a trip over to the Dallas Museum of Art to see the new VanGogh exhibit, or hunt for an outrageous Halloween costume at one of Deep Ellum’s many shops.

Explore other SMU sports teams. This weekend SMU is home to some games that might just open your eyes. There’s a whole lot more to our school than football. On Saturday Women’s Swimming is competing in the SMU Classic with Florida St, Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, Alabama and LSU at 7:30 p.m. On Sunday Women’s Soccer will be playing East Carolina at 1 p.m. and Women’s Volleyball will be playing Tulane also at 1 p.m.

Finally, go to the fair. Declare you status as a true Texan (or at least an honorary one) and go to visit Big Tex during the last weekend of the Texas State Fair. With all the greasy food, rides, exhibits and people you can handle it’s more than just another fair, it’s an experience.

So this weekend, do something out of the ordinary, something you might not normally do while football is happening. Who knows, you might just find something to do when it ends.