Deceased students honored in Service of Memory

At noon on Wednesday, deceased SMU faculty, staff and students were honored during the Service of Memory at Perkins Chapel.

Faculty Senate President Dennis Foster welcomed the intimate gathering to the service; the greeting was followed by a Call to Worship led by Judy Henneberger and a scripture reading from Sirach 44:1-14.

Patricia Davis gave the Memorial Sermon, where she emphasized the strong connection between those who have died and the friends and family they leave behind. She observed a, “porous line between life and death,” by explaining, “those who are living are bound to those who have died.”

To expand on her thoughts, Davis told the story of an Argentine woman, Anamaria, who was kidnapped and brutally tortured by her government. Now, she works to raise awareness of the corruption in Argentina and is inspired by her mother, who was a victim of government abuse as well. Unfortunately, her mother did not survive. Anamaria said she found strength from her mother, even in death. Thus, although people have died, their spirits and their memory will continue to live and inspire.

In closing, Davis described those who have passed away as, “mighty creatures made of stardust … the memory of them is sweet and powerful. And they still speak, and they still listen.”

After Davis’s sermon, Bill Davis led the Litany of Remembrance, which was followed by reading names from the list of those who have died. While each name was spoken, those who knew the indiviudual stood up and a note was played on the organ.

To finish the half-hour service, Marion Sobol said the Kaddish, Hymn number 17 was played. Associate Chaplain Henneberger gave the Benediction and Dismissal.