Make your voice heard

Why you shouldn’t underestimate the power of one vote

Tomorrow marks what many have labeled one of the most important presidential elections of all time. For many students on the Hilltop, it is their first opportunity to vote for America’s next leader, so why are so many students failing to participate in early voting or other forms of making their voice heard?

Well, for those of you who are not from the state of Texas it’s probably too late to cast your vote, but if you are registered to vote in Texas, you really have no excuse for failing to show up at the polls tomorrow.

For the early birds out there, polls open at 7 a.m. If you’re smart, you’ll get there early to avoid the long lines, but if you’re like most people who wait till the last minute, don’t despair. Polls will remain open until 7 p.m., giving you plenty of time to take a few minutes out of your schedule to make this very important decision.

Many students have said they will not be voting because their vote doesn’t matter – especially in Texas. Others say their absence is due to a lack of understanding that comes with all the added on categories. Don’t let this scare you. If you simply don’t know how to vote on specific issues, you are free to leave it blank. In fact, if all that matters to you is voting for Barack Obama or John McCain, you are allowed to mark just one bubble among the dozens running up and down the page.

As you venture out to one of the polling areas, remember to take a valid photo I.D. as well as your social security card and voter registration card. The Dallas County polls are located on 2377 North Stemmons Freeway, Suite 820.

This year is predicted to be the largest voter turnout in the country’s history when paired with the early voting turnout going on in the past week, as well as the collected absentee ballots. According to CNN.com, 24.4 million voters have already cast their ballots, with 57.3 percent of them being Democrat, and 42.7 percent identifying themselves as Republicans. Information regarding which candidate received the most votes was not available.

While analysts continue to identify select states are either Democratic or Republican, CNN is saying there is still the possibility for surprise tomorrow. Basing their decision on a variety of information, many voters, while having already formed their opinion, do have the option to change their decision if they have not yet voted.

Maybe your friends think it is “not cool” for you to go out and vote, but think of the influence you could have over your peers if you make your voice heard. You could be the one to start a chain reaction of college students showing up at the polls. Prove analysts wrong that the older generations are the most reliable voters.

So for those of you who don’t think you’re vote will count, think of it this way. If you were to graduate in May (which many of you are) would you be happy with the current condition the economy is in? We didn’t think so. This election provides you with the chance to bring about the change you want to see. Why would you surrender that chance in hopes of someone else making the decision for you? And plus, if you don’t vote, you can’t complain for the next four years.