President-elect Obama: ‘Yes we can’

President-elect Obama: Yes we can
Sarah Treis

(Sarah Treis)

Sen. Barack Obama spoke in front of supporters in Chicago Tuesday night to claim victory in the 2008 presidential election.

Nearly two years after the campaigning began, Obama was elected the 44th President of the United States.

He will take office on Jan. 20, 2009.

“If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy,” Obama said, “tonight is your answer.

“It’s been a long time coming. But tonight, because of what we did on this date, in this election, change has come to America.”

Obama thanked McCain in his speech, saying “we are better off for the service by this brave and fearless leader.”

He also reached out to McCain supporters saying, “I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voice.”

Obama also thanked his campaign staff and family, but said that above all the victory truly belongs to the voters.

Obama advocated that the momentum of his campaign should not end. “What began 21 months ago… cannot end this autumn night,” he said.

He urged that every American should resolve to pitch in and work harder, and to summon a new spirit of patriotism, service and responsibility. He also outlined problems that America will face in the coming years: wars, financial crises and terrorism.

“Even as we celebrate tonight, we know the challenges we face tomorrow,” he said. “The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep.

“We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America — I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you — we as a people will get there,”

McCain concedes

McCain ended his campaign saying, “My friends, we have come to the end of a long journey.”

He called it “a historic election,” and congratulated Obama saying he had “achieved a great thing.”

“He has prevailed,” McCain said.

During his concession, McCain urged his supporters to come together with those who supported Obama.

“Whatever our differences, we are all Americans,” he said. “It is natural to feel disappointed tonight; tomorrow we must move beyond it.”

McCain said his campaign fought as hard as it could. “The failure is mine, not yours.”

“This campaign was and will remain a great honor in my life,” he said. “Today I was a candidate for the highest office in the country I love so much, and tonight, I remain her servant.”