Taking a trip down the Red Carpet

As the Homecoming festivities kicked off this weekend with SMU’s 40th annual Community Service Day on Saturday and Field Day on Sunday, I thought about how I could write an article that would excite fellow students about actively participating in the tradition we call Homecoming.

Trust me, I know that many students are more concerned about the political elections or an upcoming test rather than who will be crowned Homecoming king and queen. Homecoming is not just about Greek organizations competing against each other for some soon to be forgotten title. This tradition is about generating excitement in the student body for the return of alumni, rallying behind the football team, and celebrating SMU traditions.

I believe I have an interesting perspective on Homecoming. Last year, I had the honor of representing my fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon, as the Homecoming king candidate. Last year’s theme was “Once Upon A Hilltop” – participating organizations chose fairy tale themes including Cinderella, Arabian Nights, Shrek and many others. This year’s theme is “Mustang Premiere: Rolling Out the Red Carpet” and a variety of movies have been chosen as themes including Indiana Jones, Jaws, Ghostbusters, etc.

Before I get too excited talking about the activities, let me go over the logistics briefly. Traditionally, the majority of participants have been Greek. However, be sure to look out for the candidates from Asian Council, Association of Black Students, and even the Class Unions/Mustang 11. The candidates are ranked based on four categories: competition, GPA/resume, an interview and student votes. Competition points can be accrued from a variety of events including Field Day (Sunday), Quiz Bowl (Wednesday), the percentage of participation in events like community service, the blood drive and many more. Points are also given for the best-painted wooden Peruna banners hanging in Hughes-Trigg, and the store window paintings all along Hillcrest and Mockingbird.

Finally, a large number of points are given for the best homecoming floats. Because of the scoring system, a candidate cannot be crowned Homecoming king or queen just by their own merits. They have to have strong participation and support from their constituents.

This Wednesday, come out and cheer on your fellow students in the Homecoming Quiz Bowl competition starting at 5 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg Ballrooms. Quiz Bowl is a national high school and college competition where teams are asked questions on a variety of topics. Most teams will also have professors as a team player. This is a great way to see some of the smartest and sharpest minds at SMU compete.

On Thursday, come on by Mrs. Baird’s Factory – it’s right across the street from La Madeleine and CVS. Organizations will be rushing to finish up their floats and decorations. While students are busy building, SMU will be honoring three distinguished alumni.

On Friday there are plenty of activities for all students to attend. At 6 p.m., the king and queen candidates will be introduced at Doak Walker Plaza. The Mustang Band, football team and cheerleaders will all be there for this pep rally. After the pep rally, you should check out the 76th annual Pig Skin Revue at 7:30 p.m. in McFarlin Auditorium. The Revue is a talent show and musical performance by members of the SMU community and the Mustang Band.

On Saturday, be prepared to get ready extra early for the Homecoming parade. Put on your running shoes and join the Thetas for a 5K race at 8:30 a.m. benefiting Court Appointed Special Advocates. Then get dressed by 11 a.m. for the Homecoming Parade that goes all the way around Bishop Boulevard. I know you have been saving your best spirit gear for this day – get excited!

After the parade, expect to tailgate like you usually do with more than double the number of people. Not only will you meet some alumni, you will probably reconnect with some friends you may not have seen since Mustang Corral. And before kickoff at 2 p.m.. you need to make your way to Ford Stadium. At halftime, the homecoming court will be presented and our king and queen will be announced. And after halftime, I expect to see everyone in the stadium cheering on the SMU Mustangs as they trample the Memphis Tigers.

As a reader, you may or may not be a part of a participating organization. However, that should not deter you from attending the variety of events such as Quiz Bowl on Wednesday, float building all Thursday and more. Also, if you are a student, you can make a difference by going out and voting for the queen and king candidates. This obviously is not as important as your political vote, but you might as well do both. So don’t forget to vote today for both your presidential and homecoming candidates. Visit http://www.smu.edu/elections and http://maps.google.com/vote.

I highly encourage you to take the time to come out to at least one event this week. Homecoming traditions are a great way to get into the spirit of reunion. This week is about friendly competition, creative decorations, and floats and rediscovering connections with fellow students. Alumni from all over the world will be returning to the Hilltop. That is a beautiful image to me. See you on the Boulevard at 11 a.m.!

Daniel Liu is a graduate engineering management student. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].