Women’s soccer falters in final regular season match

Mustangs face No. 1 seed in first round of Conference USA Tournament
SMU defender Kim Peabody jumps to head the ball in an attempt to defend the goal in a 1-0 win at Westcott Field Sept. 28, 2008.
Lindsey Perkins

SMU defender Kim Peabody jumps to head the ball in an attempt to defend the goal in a 1-0 win at Westcott Field Sept. 28, 2008. (Lindsey Perkins)

Despite qualifying for the Conference USA Tournament after a 4-0 win against Southern Mississippi on Oct. 26, the SMU women’s soccer team fell 2-1 at the University of Tulsa on Friday in its final game of the regular season.

The loss to the Golden Hurricane put the Mustangs at 6-12-1 overall and 4-7 in the conference, while Tulsa, failing to make it to the postseason, improved to 8-9-3 and 3-6-2.

SMU heads to Houston for the conference tournament Nov. 5-9 at Rice Soccer Stadium. The No. 8 seed Mustangs play in the first-round match at noon Wednesday against No.1 seed East Carolina.

The Mustangs and the Golden Hurricane battled through a scoreless first half Friday. Tulsa out-shot SMU 7-5, giving SMU freshman goalkeeper Courtney Webb four saves in the first half alone. Tulsa senior goalkeeper Kendall Harclerode had two saves in the first 45 minutes of play.

Tulsa scored the game’s first goal just two minutes into the second half when junior forward Allie Rapp collected a pass from teammate Hannah Taylor and slid the ball past Webb. The Mustangs answered back, when freshman forward Logan May got her third goal of the season in the 50th minute on an unassisted shot from 20 yards back. May also added three shots and one shot on goal.

May now stands tied in first place with senior forward Caitlin Carter and freshman midfielder Mary Connally for most regular season goals. May also moved into the No.1 spot in points on the Mustangs’ roster, with eight. The freshman from Coppell surpassed sophomore forward Lauren Shepherd and freshmen midfielders Devon Herrman and Kaitlyn Eidson, who have seven points apiece.

The Golden Hurricane’s winning goal came in the 70th minute when junior forward Jennifer Kacergis knocked a corner kick to teammate Brandi Neilson, who made the final pass to junior midfielder Emily McElrath for the goal.

Tulsa outshot the Mustangs 9-1 in the second half, with Webb racking up three more saves. The Golden Hurricane’s Harclerode had zero in the second half, leaving her season total at 84, and career total at 192 – the third most in the university’s history.

Sophomore defender Kristin Medeiros added one shot on goal to the Mustang’s offensive attack, as did Shepherd.