Men’s golf falls short of cut at NCAA Championships; three named All-Region

By Nate Regan

Managing Editor

[email protected]

The men’s golf team spent the first week of June in Owings Mills, Md. for the 2005 NCAA Championships, overcoming soggy weather and in-state rivals Texas and Texas A&M to claim 22nd place within the 30-team field with a total score of 892 (+52).

Leading the way for the Mustangs was junior Will Dodson, whose third-round total of 75 gave him a final score of 220. Despite placing first for SMU, however, Dodson felt the team as a whole did not live up to par.

“We were a little disappointed,” he said. “[The Caves Valley Golf Club] is a very good course but a very tough course … it just didn’t shape up to be our week.”

Eventual champion Georgia led the pack in all three rounds en route to a final score of 855 (+15) on the 54-hole course, a nine-stroke win over second-place Georgia Tech (864, +24).

Senior Scott Abbott and sophomore Colt Knost each scored a 77 in the third round Friday, compiling totals of 221 and 224, respectively.

Following the NCAA Championships, Abbott, Dodson and Knost were recognized for their stellar seasons by being named to the PING South Central All-Region Team.

“It’s definitely an honor,” Dodson explained. “It’s gratifying to receive awards … but that’s not what we’re working for.

“Personally, I’m just trying to tee up every week and give it my all.”