Classes resume at UCA in wake of shooting Police have detained three suspects, seeking one more

Police are looking for a fourth suspect in the fatal shooting of two University of Central Arkansas students on Sunday night.

Officials said three suspects had been detained as of Monday. The suspects are not UCA students, according to UCA police Lt. Preston Grumbles.

UCA students Ryan Henderson, 18, and Chavares Block, 19, were killed in the shooting. Henderson died at the scene. Block died at Conway Regional Medical Center.

A third victim, Matrevis Norman, was treated for a gunshot wound to the leg and released from the hospital. He is not a student at UCA.

“This is something you pray never happens,” interim university president Tom Courtway said. “But it happened.”

Classes were cancelled on Monday after police responded to a 911 call at 9:22 p.m. near the Arkansas residence hall. A campus lockdown was issued, but has since been lifted.

Police have not given a reason for the shooting, but say there is no indication it was gang-related.

SMU EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION

During the event of an emergency, SMU will alert the community through phones, text messages, e-mails, speakers, public address systems, local media and its website.

Please update your emergency contact information on access.smu.edu to ensure delivery of any emergency notification.

EVACUATION PROCEDURE

In the event a building needs to be evacuated, SMU advises students, faculty and staff to exit the building while avoiding elevators entirely and taking valuables and cell phones. Those exiting should assist the disabled. All evacuees should proceed to the assembly area outside the building.

LOCKDOWN PROCEDURE

In the event of a shooter or other violence on campus, SMU advises students, faculty and staff to barricade themselves in a room by locking the door, turning out the lights, closing the blinds and hiding under the furniture. SMU also advises those in a lockdown situation to stay away from windows and spread out on the floor until police give an “all-clear.” To report violence or a shooter, call 911.

SHELTER IN PLACE

If it is dangerous to remain outside, SMU will issue a shelter in place notice. Students, faculty and staff should proceed indoors directly and remain there until given an “all-clear.” Ventilation systems should be turned off, and those waiting should keep tuned to media if possible.

Emergency procedures are available online and are posted around campus. Information for this story was gathered from CNN and The Echo, UCA’s student newspaper.