SMU volleyball comes away with split over weekend

After a series of difficult losses in conference play, the SMU volleyball team fought back in two tough games last weekend, going 1-1. The win came Friday against the Marshall Thundering herd (3-7 C-USA) in a three-set sweep. The loss was against the East Carolina Pirates (2-9 C-USA) on Sunday.

The win against the Thundering Herd was a needed boost for the Mustangs, who were on a four-game losing streak on the road. In SMU’s first-ever win against Marshall, the Mustangs ended the game hitting a season high team average of .381.

Freshman setter Kelli Becerra propelled the team offensively with 33 assists and a career high four aces. Natalie Peters continues to dominate on offense with a .625 hitting efficiency and 10 kills. Defensively, freshman libero Sidney Stewart led with 15 digs.

SMU outplayed and out-hustled the Herd in every aspect of the game. The Mustangs led Marshall in blocks 10-3 and took control of the hitting with a .381-.181 hitting advantage. The Mustangs won all three sets decisively.

Sunday’s lost to East Carolina was a hard-fought battle. The game was up and down throughout the match, which went to five sets. East Carolina’s win was its first since Sept. 20. Despite the loss, the Mustangs looked strong with a combined 18 team blocks, 67 digs, and a .143 hitting efficiency.

Three players picked up double-doubles, including junior Kendra Kananek, freshman Dana Powell, and freshman Becerra. Becerra recorded a career-high 54 assists and had 10 digs. Peters led the team on offense with 16 kills. She recorded six block assists, which pushes her even further ahead in the SMU career block assists record.

SMU returns home this weekend to Moody Coliseum to take on two strong conference rivals. Friday at 7 p.m. the Mustangs take on Houston and then following on Sunday at 1 p.m. against Rice.