Swimmer Candace Blackman awarded with Conference USA Swimmer of the Week award

SMU women’s swimmer Candace Blackman earned Conference USA Swimmer of the Week after earning seven first-place finishes last week in a home duel against Arizona State in the SMU Women’s Swimming Classic.

In the duel against Arizona State, which the Mustangs won 142-99, Blackman earned three top finishes. She captured first place in the 100 and 200-yard freestyles and the 400 freestyle relay.

In the SMU Classic, which began just a day later, Blackman helped the Mustangs to victory in two relay events, the 200 and 800 freestyles. In the 200 relay, she set a new meet and pool record, finishing her leg in 1:47:83.

Blackman teamed with senior Petra Klosova and sophomores Elzanne Werth and Sascha Van den Branden in the 200 relay.

She also won in the individual 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle and finished second in the 400 freestyle relay.

Sophomore diver Audra Egenolf finished first in the one-meter and three-meter springboard events

Blackman, a senior from Highland Park, was an All-American in three events last year: the 200, 400 and 800 freestyle relays, and was also an All-American in 2006. She helped the Mustangs to an 11th-place finish in the NCAA Championships last year and a seventh-place finish in 2006. She sat out the 2006-2007 season with a medical redshirt.

Blackman is one of only four seniors on SMU’s 24-person roster, which features 16 freshmen and sophomores.

The Mustangs host Penn State on Saturday in their last home duel until Jan. 6.