Mustangs shut out Bearkats

The SMU women’s soccer team defeated the Sam Houston State Bearkats in a 4-0 victory Friday night at Westcott Field. The Mustangs’ win was a great way to kick off the start of SMU’s Family Weekend.

The Mustangs came out early, with a goal 18 minutes into the game, scored by sophomore forward Kim Peabody, with the assist credited to senior midfielder Kimber Bailey. Peabody and the Mustangs were just getting warmed up though.

Peabody scored again in the 37th minute when freshman forward Lauren Shepherd set up Peabody with a long kick from 40 yards away, allowing Peabody to knock the ball past SHSU goalkeeper, Jenny Pence.

“Kim [Peabody] was magnificent. It was by far the best game I’ve seen her play,” said head coach Brent Erwin.

SMU goalkeeper Ashley Gunter had one save 25 minutes into the game, but the Bearkats were unable to get past the Mustangs’ defense to get another shot on goal the entire night.

The Mustangs increased their lead to 3-0 when junior defender Carly Phillips had her first goal of the season when she headed in a pass from sophomore midfielder Jennifer Raad.

“We missed a goal early, by about a foot, but we came back and scored. We scored two goals in the last 10 minutes of the first half. We just wore them down with the passing,” explained Erwin.

When the Mustangs returned to the field after halftime, the team was still determined to put more points on the board. Kristin Medeiros, a freshman forward, put the Mustangs to 4-0 against Sam Houston when she blasted a pass into the left side of the net. Peabody was credited with the assist.

SMU’s defense kept the Bearkats’ efforts to a minimum, allowing only three shots the entire game, and only one shot on goal.

“We played the way we were to supposed to play by completing our passes and moving off the ball. The opportunities came to us,” elaborated Erwin.

The win increases the Mustangs’ record to 4-2-1, and drops the Bearkats to 2-5-0.

“This was a great win for us because we all played very well as a team. We now have to focus on the upcoming conference games, and our goal, which is to be undefeated in the conference,” goalkeeper Ashley Gunter said.

The Mustangs head into the beginning of conference play Friday night when they travel to Colorado Springs to take on Colorado College. It will be the first time the Mustangs will face Colorado College since the Tigers upset SMU in the Conference USA Tournament last season.

The Mustangs will then return to Texas to take on the University of Texas at El Paso Miners Sunday in El Paso.

The Mustangs come home to Westcott Field on Oct. 12 when they take on the Golden Eagles from Southern Miss at 7 p.m.