Flashback to the 70s with cork

Fashion with Fischer
 Flashback to the 70s with cork
Flashback to the 70s with cork

Flashback to the 70s with cork

Way in the back of our attic closet, behind all the bridesmaid’s dresses, winter coats and Christmas decorations, there lie boxes and boxes of shoes. Not like old sneakers, or the color-perfect match of the bridesmaid’s dresses. But cork and wedge ones straight out of the 70s. When I was younger (and no, not like last week, but in 5th grade), my friends and sisters and I used to sneak to the back of the closet, drag out the boxes and tie buckles and lose those puppies up.

Although the shoes were sizes and years behind (or in front of us), we loved dancing around the guest room to our make-believe disco room. The espadrilles and massive cork wedges shown in bright yellows, blues and reds, transforming us from the 10-year-olds we were into inferno experts.

Although cork and wedges weren’t remotely as popular in the early 90s compared to the 70s, they weren’t entirely out of style either.

Today, another 10 years later, and sans champagne, cork is popping up everywhere.

From cork-formed tables, coasters, bracelets, and—of course—shoes, there are plenty of ways to join in the fun! With the most basic color palettes having affairs with the brighter ones, the cork shoes become the ultimate collection. Even the simple aesthetics of the cork can make class just a bit more interesting.

The cork, in any form, reminds me of a smoky club, disco lights streaming across the floor while ABBA plays at a deafening tone. Or like those tables that frat guys think are cool, with old wine corks meticulously “woven” zigzags across the table. Of course, there are always just the regular corkboards to hang pictures on. So much for analogies.

Like all trends, we must make a full circle; from the flapper, to the full skirt, corsets, seersucker and even the pain splattered/stone-wash jeans from the 80s. So I suppose it was time for cork to make its comeback. And what an entrance it did. It embodies the fashion-forward with the traditional, the funky with the classic.

Of course, no one really understands what cork is. Little pieces of durable wood? The ability to keep a wine fresh, soak up the sweat from your cold beer, and make me four inches taller. Must be a miracle worker.

From Charles David strappy black and gold cork wedges (around $150) to Target’s Mossimo slip-on cork wedges (around $14.99), the price and style are up to you. Espadrilles can be found at J. Crew in natural tan with a preppy brown and white ribbon and magenta suede strap (around $100); Anthropologie has espadrille wedges with mint, pink or off-white soft cotton with a buckle strap (around $140). Brooks Brothers has flat espadrilles with colorful seersucker (around $48), and – surprise – www.espadrilles.com has anything to fit the heart’s desire.

With every height, heel and type of strap to choose from, there’s some cork waiting for everyone. Similar to how cork forms to the inside of the wine bottle before corkscrewing (no pun) it off, the cork shoes will develop molds to your feet, making them comfortable walking shoes for any occasion. Dress them up with a sundress or pair them with jeans or a jean skirt for a more casual look.