The other side of Wright

The other side of Wright
The other side of Wright

The other side of Wright

I came to school at SMU because I have been passionate about the airline industry my whole life. Ever since I was a child following my dad’s business trips, I have been fascinated with commercial aviation and how the system works. While Ed Board’s column regarding the Wright Amendment restrictions at Love Field covered the issue well, there is more to the debate than a fare war between American and Southwest.

I must admit that I am slightly biased against Southwest because of their refusal to fly to my home state of Colorado. They will not fly to Denver because the landing fees are too expensive, and they claim Colorado Springs is not a big enough market to serve.

I am sure those at SMU who come from Georgia, Minnesota and other markets not served by Southwest will have a similar stance. While I recognize Love Field’s convenience for SMU students, Southwest has never been restricted from flying to any destination at any fare from DFW. Southwest should be able to offer long haul service to citizens of the metroplex, but they should do so at DFW.

First, we must consider the history of the Wright Amendment. The Amendment was put into place by Jim Wright, a state representative from Fort Worth, who wanted to protect DFW’s interests.

Southwest agreed to the terms of the amendment knowing that it would never change. Every other airline signed on to move their operations from Love Field to DFW when it opened. DFW has developed into a strong international hub for all of North Texas, and while Southwest has developed into a phenomenally successful low fare carrier, they have elected to remain at Love Field to serve their own interests.

The removal of the Wright Amendment would split the commercial aviation market and weaken DFW’s presence as a developing International hub. The new terminal at DFW will rely on domestic traffic connecting to international flights, something that Southwest cannot offer.

Critics of the Wright amendment point to Chicago and Houston as examples that Dallas should follow. However, the close proximity of Dallas and Fort Worth and DFW’s location between the two cities make this a more unique market than Chicago and an area with better opportunities for business development compared to Houston.

If Southwest were to move to DFW, they could occupy Terminal E, which was recently vacated by Delta Airlines. They could compete with American on any route while offering low fare service to all of the metroplex.

The City of Dallas could either keep Love Field as a private airport or redevelop the land similar to the Stapleton project in Denver. When Denver opened its new airport a decade ago, the city was left with a large piece of land close to downtown. The Stapleton project has developed residential, commercial and industrial property on the old airport land and enjoyed considerable success.

I will continue to use DFW as long as I am here. I have a choice of three airlines when I fly home to Denver, all of whom offer low fares if you shop around for them. As America’s most profitable airline since deregulation, Southwest should be able to offer long haul service to the citizens of the DFW metroplex, but they should also contribute to a thriving regional airport that will continue to grow well into the future.