Mustangs shocked by UAB 2-1

The men’s soccer team was upset by the UAB Blazers on Wednesday by a score of 2-1. The loss marks the Mustangs’ first of the season making their record 14-1-3. The Blazers improve to 8-6-2 with the win and are now back to .500 in the conference.

It is unclear as to whether the loss will affect SMU’s ranking. In last week’s NSCAA/adidas poll, the Mustangs were the only undefeated team left in NCAA Division 1 play. In the No. 2 and No. 3 positions were Virginia and Wake Forest, who each have two losses so far this season. However, the numerous ties that the Mustangs have may become a factor in next week’s polls. As of last week, Virginia had no ties and Wake Forest only had one.

The Blazers scored the first goal of the game in the 13th minute. Senior Lukasz Kwapisz scored his seventh goal of the season on an early breakaway. He was assisted by Joe Klosterman who made the pass to Kwapisz.

The Mustangs quickly answered the Blazers when they tied the game up only 39 seconds later. The goal was scored by senior Mynor Gonzalez off of a penalty kick. It was Gonzalez’s first goal of the season.

The half ended with the scored tied at one goal a piece. The Blazers broke the deadlock in the 61st minute with the game winning goal. The Blazers’ midfielder Trey Gregory scored his second goal of the season when he headed the ball past the Mustangs’ goalkeeper Matt Wideman. The Blazers’ Jerson Monteiro and Carlo Schiavoni were credited with assists on the play.

A loss to UAB was certainly unexpected by everyone, except maybe the Blazers. It will be important for the Mustangs not to lose track of the goal: to bring home the College Cup. The loss to UAB is unfortunate, but ultimately it is only one game. The loss will undoubtedly test the Mustangs character and their ability to bounce back from a loss.

The Mustangs will get their chance to rebound from this loss on Saturday at home against the Thundering Herd of Marshall. It is the Mustangs’ final home game before the C-USA conference tournament in Tulsa, Okla.

The Thundering Herd is 4-8-2 this season and is only 1-4-1 in C-USA play. Marshall has already upset one team this year when they defeated the South Carolina Gamecocks, who were then ranked No. 11. They are lead by senior forward Karim Boukhemis the leading goal-scorer with four. On average, Marshall scores just over one goal per game and should be contained by the Mustangs’ defensive unit. Winning the game against Marshall is essential if the Mustangs want to gain some momentum before the tournament.