Students enjoy Mane Event

Mane Event 2005 “A Fair to Remember” had an overwhelming impression on the SMU community Thursday afternoon.

“I didn’t think it was going to be a huge carnival or a fair or anything. I definitely didn’t expect to see all the inflatables or other activities that were there,” sophomore Meagan McHone said.

“A Fair to Remember” was kicked-off with the 2005-2006 Student Senate Inauguration on the Main Quad in front of Dallas Hall.

After the Inauguration the SMU community had the opportunity to participate in over a dozen different activities.

The Main Quad contained jousting, a waterslide, inflatable obstacle courses, laser tag, photo buttons, caricature drawings, wax hands, a mechanical bull, and tons of carnival-style food.

The waterslide became a huge hit towards the end of the day when students couldn’t bare the heat anymore and needed to cool off on the scorching 92-degree day.

Funnel cakes, barbeque, nachos, ice cream sandwiches and ribs were available throughout the day. Students also had access to soda, water and lemonade.

“The food was really great. I love carnival-style food,” sophomore Molly Phillips said.

The area near the flag pole contained the Scratch DJ Academy, a rock wall, bumper cars, virtual NASCAR racing, a photo sticker machine and several carnival-style game booths.

Live music from the stage in Main Quad provided musical entertainment from local bands while students participated in all that Mane Event had to offer.

“I really enjoyed it and I’m really proud of my roommate Susan Carmody one of the Mane Event Co-Chairs. A lot of work was put into it and it turned out really great,” Phillips said.

The crowd was slow at first but as the day wore on more and more students joined in on the festivities to celebrate their last day of school.

The entire campus was involved with Mane Event this year compared to last year. Students were drawn to it as they left classes and passed through Main Quad. They couldn’t help but stop and wonder what was going on.

“This was the best last day of school ever,” McHone said.

For the majority of students what seemed to be the best last day of school was topped off with a performance by popular recording artist Juvenile.

Students joined in with Juvenile to sing some of his more popular songs “Back That Ass Up” and “Slow Motion.”

“It was very exciting and fun to see one of the top rappers in the music industry at SMU. It was awesome to be able to be so close and not have to deal with the hassle of trying to get good tickets for a normal concert,” sophomore Ana Ortiz said.