NBA Playoffs provide style tips from star

The Red Zone

It’s the last column of the year and I have got to get a few things out in the open, although most people would say that is what I do on a weekly basis … oh well.

Someone please tell me they have been watching “Inside the NBA” with Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith following the final playoff game of the night. They are extremely entertaining but nothing compares to the interview that they continue to show of Miami’s Damon Jones.

Jones is a journeyman point guard who has taken advantage of his first season of starting by shooting 43 percent from three during the regular season and scorching the Nets for 30 in the playoff opener. But his best performance of the night came in the post game press conference as he appeared in a shirt straight from the Michael Irvin collection and some sunglasses that apparently he stole from J-Lo and explained how he’s now a superstar. Seriously, for a minute I thought he changed places with Jalen Rose because he was hilarious, but the funniest thing was Kenny laughing hysterically and calling Jones “bananas” and “off the meter.”

It was more entertaining than the actual game was. All I want to do is find a job that allows me too have as much fun as Kenny and Charles have on a daily basis.

I don’t know whether to be absolutely amazed or extremely upset by T-Mac’s performance against the Mavs through two games. On one hand, he has done everything to help his team win — make tough shots, guard the other team’s best player (Dirk), get wide open looks for his teammates, hit a game winner, all with a look in his eye that he will destroy anything that stands in his way.

On the other hand, this is the same guy that dogged it for an entire season in Orlando so he could get traded. Vince Carter did the same act in Toronto by forcing the Raptors to trade him and then flipping a switch to get the Nets in playoffs.

Once and for all, you get paid tens of millions of dollars to play a game, so shut up and play basketball.

T-Mac, that means keep putting together the best all-around performance since Employee No. 23 still wore the red and black, and Vince, that means disappearing when the real pressure is on just like you always do.

At what point does Phoenix take UTEP’s Filiberto Rivera in the upcoming NBA draft? Seriously, the guy is perfectly suited for the Suns’ run, gun and have fun offense to play backup to Steve Nash.

The last pick in the second round will not get Rivera because the best “pure” point guard in the draft will already be long gone. It’s not about talent; it’s about who fits the system best, and Filly also plays defense, something that is at a bit of a shortage in the Valley of the Sun.

If they’re smart, Phoenix either reaches and takes him at pick No. 21 or trades up in the second to get the two-time WAC first-teamer.

Is the whole female population upset that one Tierney Epstein has become the voice of the entire gender with her “Girl Talk” column? Has not a single woman noticed, because evidently no one reads this paper.

Seriously, no one cares if southern boys are better or about your dating life, or about the correct times to call, or blah blah blah. If a guy likes a girl, he will do one of two things: (a) pay too much attention or (b) pay too little attention. It will be up to the girl to choose if she likes being pursued or if he comes off as a stalker in the first case or if he doesn’t care enough or just needs to be reminded of your presence. Look – I just wrote Tierney’s entire next column in a damn paragraph.

Does anyone know what Eric Roberts is doing these days? You know Julia’s brother, a big enough movie star at one point to be on the poster above the title, and then on a few TV shows. That couldn’t be him on the last, not one, but two Mariah Carey videos, could it? Or is that him in The Killers “Mr. Brightside” video?

Umm, the career has definitely taken a turn for the worse if you appear in three music videos that the Red Zone sees on MTV and VH1 all on the same night. On the bright side (pun definitely intended), at least people have seen these videos, something that Roberts can’t say about his last few movie appearances.

Watching the draft I couldn’t stop thinking about what in the hell was going on in Aaron Rodgers’ head as he slid down to the pick No. 24, thankfully in front of a national viewing audience, and was on hand at the draft site in NYC. What’s worse then sitting for five mind-numbing hours with TV cameras turning your way after each agonizing pick?

Finding out that the beautiful sun that comes out on a daily basis while growing up in California doesn’t have such a strong relationship with the folks in Wisconsin.

Graduating seniors, have a great life and keep in touch only with the people you truly care about.

Everyone enjoy the summer and watch as much NBA playoffs as possible because once the Finals are over, baseball is all there is until football starts. So life sucks till September.