Chi Omega, dressed and impressed

Chi Omega, dressed and impressed

When you think of glamorous women and trendy fashion shows, names like Bryant Park come to mind. So when I found out that Chi Omega was putting on a show at Umphrey Lee Center, I was a bit skeptical.

From the moment I walked up the steps of Umphrey Lee, I knew that this show would be as stunning as any Fashion Week in New York.

Lining the way to the Grand Ballroom were a few of Chi Omega’s members, all dressed in beautiful little black dresses: Coco Chanel would have been proud.

As we were ushered to our seats, one could observe a simple red runway in addition to black and silver skyline cut outs to go with the “Fashion with a Passion: Jet Set Society” theme. Just like any professional fashion show, there were fabulous refreshments and hip music to mingle to.

The production began with a creative video and choreographed dance to get everyone in the mood for the show.

The Chi-O’s didn’t disappoint. With great ensembles from Billy Reid, Lilly Pulitzer, Anthropology, Octane, Premium 93 and Ty Couture, a surprisingly cohesive style show of current fall 2006 trends was a smashing success.

My personal favorite was a series of dresses for winter in frilly satin pinks and silk greens, many of which sported a big fat bow. I felt the bright splash of color among the generally darker fall clothing was both refreshing and innovative. Much of the show exemplified the biggest and best trends for this season.

Great gray sweaters, peek-a-boo pumps, flat riding boots, ruffled blouses and dark rich colors were just some of the delights featured on the beautiful girls of Chi Omega sorority.

The best part of the production was Suli, a senior in high school and survivor of childhood Leukemia. This brave young girl spoke about the Make-a-Wish foundation (the charity for which 100 percent of the evening’s proceeds went), and her connection.

As a former Make-a-Wish child, she felt it important to give back to the organization that made her want to “strive to survive,” as she so bluntly put it.

Putting a face to the charity made the entire evening worthwhile.

After Suli’s powerful speech, Caroline Shirley, one of Chi-O’s own, preformed her song “With my own two Hands” and brought the show to an appropriate end.

When asked about what the show meant to her, Chi Omega’s philanthropy Chairwoman Katy Robertson said, she hopes that this show “sets an example for what sorority philanthropy should be.”

Wonderful clothing, girls all dressed up in delicate cocktail dresses and helping a fantastic organization like Make-a-Wish made this fashion show one of the most fun and meaningful I have been to in quite some time.