ONE28 brings Jason Castro, Brandon Heath to campus

ONE28, one of SMU’s on campus ministries, hosted a free benefit concert featuring American Idol contestant Jason Castro, and Brandon Heath on Wednesday night in the Hughes-Trigg Theater.

The concert benefited Living Water International, a foundation that works to provide clean water to people around the world. Since 1990, Living Water International has completed more than 9,000 water projects and counting for more 26 countries.

On average, a woman or child will walk 3.5 miles one way to access clean water. 

“It’s just mind blowing to think there are people going through what they have to go through to get water,” Castro said. “To think that with the resources we have, it’s really not that hard for us to give people a chance at life.” 

Every 15 seconds a child dies from water- related illnesses. ONE28’s goal for the evening was to raise enough money to provide one water well for a community that lacks access to clean drinking water. The average cost to build a well is $12,000.

“It shouldn’t be up to somebody else; it shouldn’t be up to some rich philanthropist. It should be up to us,” Heath said. “I’m really proud of SMU and their [partnership] with Living Water International.”

Castro made it to the top four on the seventh season of American Idol. Castro has released his self-titled debut album, ” Jason Castro.” His next album is scheduled to be released on Nov. 9.

Since his debut in 2006, Heath has gained his name to fame thanks to three No.1 hits that have been broadcasted all over the radio, including “I’m Not Who I Was,” “Wait and See” and “Give Me Your Eyes.” He has been nominated twice as GMA Male Vocalist of theYear (2009 and 2010), has won an Emmy Award, and has been nominated for two Grammys and an American Music Award.

ONE28 is a non-denominational college Bible study on the SMU campus. They meet every Wednesday at 8 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg theater.