Volleyball beats UTEP, falls to Tulane

Volleyball beats UTEP, falls to Tulane
Lindsey Perkins

(Lindsey Perkins)

SMU volleyball went 1-1 again this weekend. The team was unable to clinch a victory over Tulane, but managed to defeat the Miners from UTEP.

The Mustangs faced UTEP Friday night in Moody Coliseum, gaining their 13th victory of the season, their fourth in C-USA play. The Miners fell in four games, 3-1 (24-30, 30-24, 30-19, 30-21) to the Mustangs. Juniors Rachel Giubilato, Caitlin Rainbird, and Madison Hill all posted double-doubles in the win over UTEP.

Giubilato’s 25 kills and five service aces broke four-game-match personal records for the outside hitter. She notched her 13th and 14th career double-doubles against the Miners and the Green Wave this weekend.

Rainbird and Hill also had double-double performances on Sunday versus Tulane. The Mustangs once again fell to the Green Wave, but the women were still able to have a successful night. Rainbird notched 13 kills and 21 digs against UTEP and had 14 kills and 12 digs versus Tulane. Hill made 24 assists and 12 digs while playing the Green Wave and added a career-high 58 assists against the Miners.

Freshman libero Candice Davis was named the C-USA Defensive Player of the Week for her performances against two conference opponents this week. Davis also had a career-high versus the Miners with 24 digs. She made 20 digs later in the weekend against Tulane. Davis shared the honor of Co-Defensive Player of the Week earlier this season after a record-breaking match against Stephen F. Austin. Davis is quickly becoming comfortable in her libero position, which she was put in to after senior Jeannette Evanco ended her season due to injury.

Freshman Kendra Kahanek also had strong performances this weekend. The middle blocker had seven kills and three blocks against Tulane, while she added eight kills and two blocks to SMU’s victory over UTEP.

A seemingly recovered Natalie Peters saw enough playing time to have double digit kills in the Mustang win over the Miners and nine kills, three aces and five blocks against the Green Wave.

SMU volleyball is now 4-7 in C-USA and 14-12 overall for the season. The Mustangs hit the road again this weekend to take on both Rice and Houston. SMU plays at Rice Friday night and at the University of Houston on Sunday.

Natalie Peters and Caitlin Rainbird go up for a ball against Tulane (Lindsey Perkins)