Ramadan banquet held

The Muslim Student Association held its seventh annual Ramadan banquet Friday night. The banquet marked the end of the organization’s Fast-a-Thon, which raised over $10,000 for UNICEF’s assistance in Darfur.

“The event was a good way to raise awareness about Ramadan and our religion, but it is also for a good cause,” MSA member and sophomore biology major Moizza U-Kui said.

For the Fast-a-Thon, participating students pledged to fast until sunset of last Friday, the last day of Ramadan. Students accepted donations in support of their fasts. Ramadan, which is the ninth month of the Muslim calendar, celebrates the revelation of the Koran, the Islamic holy book.

MSA member Javeria Kazmi raised the most money, bringing in over $1,000. Though fasting is part of the Muslim tradition, non-Muslim and Muslim students participated in the Fast-a-Thon.

“I’m Christian, but came to the banquet and participated in the fast to support my friend,” senior engineering major Daniel Liu said. “This event creates a sense of solidarity with SMU students.”

The banquet featured speaker Ibrahim Ramey, the Director of the Human and Civil Rights Division of the Muslim American Society. Ramey spoke about his experience when visiting Darfur, and he called for students to work toward advocating human and economic rights across the globe. Ramey also addressed the Islamic religion as a whole, including the misunderstanding of jihad.

Before Ramey’s speech, members of the SMU community spoke about the Fast-a-Thon and MSA Secretary Osman Ahmed led a prayer. The MSA holds prayer meetings Monday through Thursday during the school year. Attendees were invited to ‘break the fast’ with Thai and Indian foods. Nearly 200 people attended the banquet, which was held in the Hughes-Trigg Ballroom.

For more information on the MSA or information about Islam in general, visit people.smu.edu/msa/home.html.