A-LEC helping stressed out students

Taylor Lopez (left) gets pre-calculus help from Jessica Jones (right) yesterday evening in the Altshuler-Learning Enhancement Center.
Stuart Palley

Taylor Lopez (left) gets pre-calculus help from Jessica Jones (right) yesterday evening in the Altshuler-Learning Enhancement Center. (Stuart Palley)

The office of New Student Programs hosted an Encore Series lecture yesterday entitled “A-LEC: Helping to Pursue Good Grades.” Held in the Hughes-Trigg Forum, the lecture featured a panel of representatives from the Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center who discussed the many different aspects of the Center and how they can help students.

The A-LEC, located on the second floor of the Paul B. Loyd Center, provides four main services to all undergraduate students at SMU: tutoring services, the Writing Center, ORACLE and workshops. All services are provided free of charge.

There are approximately 62 tutors who work at the A-LEC, who all did very well in the subject with which they are tutoring. Tutoring is available nearly every night, with specific subject schedules available at the A-LEC Web site. Tutoring is available on a drop-in basis, and students who need tutoring should come prepared to the center with notes, books, questions and homework. Although tutors are available, the A-LEC stresses that they are not a replacement for going to class or talking to a professor.

Also, the Writing Center is open weekdays by appointment. Consisting of faculty members from the English department, the center can help students improve the writing process. Students needing an appointment should call in advance.

ORACLE is a one-hour class that teaches reading and study skills. Even though the class is taught mainly in the fall, there will be four classes held this spring.

Workshops are held periodically throughout the semester and focus on different learning strategies. “GPA 101: SMU Survival Skills” will be held next Monday at 5 p.m. and Tuesday at 4 p.m.

In addition, the A-LEC provides many other resources such as the Semester at a Glance calendar, the time awareness sheet and a to-do list. According to Pat Feldman, Associate Director for Academic Skills, the A-LEC has given away over 4,500 Semester at a Glance calendars, which is a record. The spring 2008 Semester at a Glance calendar will be available in November.

“We’re very much here for any and every student,” Feldman said. “Just come in.”