School of Engineering to receive $10.1 million gift today

Workers set up a party tent outside of the J. Lindsay Embrey Building at last years dedication cermony. Another ceremony, this time for a financial gift,  will be held at the same place today.
John Schreiber
Workers set up a party tent outside of the J. Lindsay Embrey Building at last year’s dedication cermony. Another ceremony, this time for a financial gift, will be held at the same place today.

Workers set up a party tent outside of the J. Lindsay Embrey Building at last year’s dedication cermony. Another ceremony, this time for a financial gift, will be held at the same place today. (John Schreiber)

SMU’s School of Engineering will announce a $10.1 million gift at a ceremony today – the largest in the engineering school’s history.

The entire donation is from the W.W. Caruth Foundation through the Communities Foundation of Texas and will be split into two parts.

$5.1 million will go toward establishing and endowing the newly renamed Caruth Institute for Engineering Education at SMU. The other $5 million is toward a new building to be constructed on the site of Caruth Hall that will house the institute.

The institute has been in existence for more than five years and its goal is to establish engineering-related programs to students in kindergarten through high school.

Part of the institute is The Infinity Project, a partnership between Texas Instruments and the School of Engineering.

A release from SMU said the gift would help K-12 students nationwide by preparing them for possible careers in engineering and technology.

Engineering students were given white long-sleeved T-shirts to wear today in honor of the announcement, which is at 11:45 a.m. in the Stemmons Atrium of the Embrey Building. On the front it says, “Compete to Win” and on the back it has the institute’s name.