A student’s perspective on getting ‘organized’

It is very exciting to live on your own for the first time in your life and be able to manage your own schedule. I remember that feeling when I was a freshman. It was exhilarating. But, then I asked myself, “Now what?” I mean, there has to be more to college than just studying and going to class, right?

I really believe  that students who go to college are people who have set out to make a difference. At SMU, I knew that I had to find an opportunity to get involved and make a difference in our academic community.

At first, I started out as the Intramurals Chair for the Hilltop Scholars Community. That experience was very rewarding as I got to meet and interact with the people in my community and form lasting friendships that I still have today. Plus, I got to play all my favorite sports with other residents in my community.

I then enrolled in the Leadership Certificate Program offered by the LCI (Leadership and Community Involvement) office. This allowed me to develop skills as an effective leader. I learned all sort of leadership techniques from various leaders around the Dallas community that really helped me understand how to make a difference in my community. But, the biggest opportunity that enabled me to get involved here was Student Senate.

Iwas attending a leadership involvement fair here, when I met then-Vice President Patrick Kobler. I asked him about what exactly Student Senate does. He explained to me about that Student Senate was the foundation of all student organizations on campus. Some of the responsibilities include allocating funds to student organizations, chartering new student organizations, as well as initiating action on student concerns.

For me, that was my calling to get involved and make a difference at SMU.  So I ended up joining Student Senate as a member of the Student Concerns committee, working on how to make student life here at SMU better.

I later served two years as a Lyle School Senator as well, representing my constituents in the Engineering School. It was as a Senator that I truly learned how important it is for students to have a voice in our student affairs. I also saw the true colors of SMU, learning how unique we as a school are.

From the controversial issues that we faced last year, to the wide variety of organizations planning special and unique events, it was truly an honor to help so many students achieve their goals and passions. Today, I am the Parliamentarian of the Student Senate for the 2010-2011 school year, so I continue to be involved here at SMU.

If there’s anything that you can take away from this opinion, I hope it is this — you can learn to seek out your passions here at SMU. There are so many impressive organizations and unique people here that I find it impossible for someone to not make a difference here at SMU. The only requisite is your effort. So please, don’t be afraid to make a difference in not only your life, but in those of your peers, as well. One day, you may be the change the world needs.

Joseph Esau is a senior electrical engineering and mathematics major. He is also the Parliamentarian of the SMU Student Senate. He can be reached for comments or questions at [email protected].