BLOG: Three days, two reporters, one festival

Everything you need to know about ACL
M83 performs at Ausitn City Limits Friday evening.
SIdney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus

M83 performs at Ausitn City Limits Friday evening. (SIdney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Day One

Day one of ACL proved to be both a learning experience for us first time festivalgoers. It was montage of musical sets that both pleased and acted as a warm introduction to the three-day festival.

The highlight of the night was none other than Florence & The Machine. In a deep emerald gown and fiery red hair, Florence belted hits such as “Cosmic Love,” “Shake it Out” and the crowd favorite “Dog Days are Over.” The British songstress continually referred to the concept of festival by urging the concertgoers to embrace one another, throw each other on another’s shoulder and even challenge the audience to kiss their neighbors, strangers or not. While her banter between songs was entertaining, it was the Grammy winner’s ethereal voice that truly stole the show. Florence demonstrated her wild range by breaking away from her recorded songs and giving each its own unique and special tune.

After Florence & The Machine, came M83, the French electronic band that recently made ways with its song “Midnight City.” The way the band structured, technically, allows for there to be three lead singers. These three voices meld and mesh together from their harmonious, sometimes haunting chords. Such was the case Friday night. The band played its hits such as “The Aforementioned,” “Midnight City,” “Reunion” and “Altro.” While some bands may use lighting as a supporting character in its shows, M83 uses lights to its advantage and creates a memorizing, dazzling show that compliments the techno beats to a T.

Tomorrow’s lineup consists of Dev, Rufus Wainwright, Metric, The Shins and Jack White. White will the Saturday headliner, but we the best set to come from The Shins and Metric – both staff favorites.

On The Road

As I type, 95 miles and an hour and a half separate us from Texas’ biggest music festival – Austin City Limits. The lineup up is chalked full with arena worthy talent, like Neil Young, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Florence & The Machine and The Black Keys.

The two bands on deck tonight are Florence & The Machine and M83. But, tomorrow is when the real fun begins. We plan on seeing Dev, Rufus Wainwright, Metric, The Shins and Jack White. Sunday, we will be listening to bands like NEEDTOBREATHE, Civil Wars, The Avett Brothers, Childish Gambino and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

We will keep you updated throughout the weekend with blog updates and twitter. Follow @thedailycampus for tweets from ACL.