New year brings new staff, goals, coverage

Incoming editor in chief discusses plans for the Daily Campus’ spring term

Welcome to the spring semester of 2011. By now, many new year’s resolutions have been dumped, disappointment from our bowl game loss has passed and we’re on to the excitement for the Super Bowl XLV in Dallas.

As I enter my (supposed) last semester of my college career, I also embark on taking lead of a group of people who collaborate in getting information to our campus three times a week.

As editor in chief of the Daily Campus, I plan on leading a dedicated staff to continue our work as the main source of campus news. You may notice a new section on page two of today’s issue, organized by Jessica Huseman, a former Daily Campus editor in chief, who is now our politics editor.

The section is kicking off in this issue with an appropriate start, featuring an article with former President George W. Bush. In addition to a weekly page in the paper, Huseman also has a political blog, www.politically-inclined.com.

Other Daily Campus bloggers are continuing on our continually improving website, smudailycampus.com. Hilltop Politics will pursue news in administration, while Fashion Editor Sarah Bray will continue the style blog.

Another new blog, featuring restaurant reviews and new-found recipes is in the making, (by yours truly).

The new and returning staff members are also committed to providing more multimedia content on our website. With a new video almost every day, we’re eager to bring more than just words to Daily Campus readers and smudailycampus.com users. Multimedia packages and feature photo galleries are also enhancing our news delivery.

The news section will continue to bring you news that’s expected from your campus newspaper and stories that may surprise you. Arts & Entertainment is even busier this spring, already viewing new movies and performances and gearing up for award season. Sports is focusing in on the Mustangs in basketball before gearing up for the Super Bowl.

The health and fitness section is offering healthy winter comfort food alternatives in Wednesday’s issue, preparing for even more tips on how to be healthy with a college lifestyle. Our style section will return Friday, providing more trends before switching to the spring season.

Our opinion section will continue to bring you various views on different issues, ranging in this issue from a laundry detergent’s advertising to political rhetoric. Our editorial board is already collaborating in addressing important issues for our readers this semester.

It seems that no student ever knows how the semester will really turn out. That class that was a sure-A was actually a B+. The Mustangs who were going to win a bowl game lost. Or that harsh professor turned out to be your favorite. With any circumstances that may surprisingly arise, I know that this semester for the Daily Campus will be a good one.

Taylor Adams is a senior journalism major. She can be reached for comment at [email protected].