‘Super Saturday’ at Meadows

Sept. 22 marked the tradition of Super Saturday Family Weekend at the Meadows Museum.

The event, which has taken place since the museum was founded, occurs three times a year: once each semester, in addition to once in the summer.

Admission to Super Saturday is free and gives children an opportunity to gain knowledge about art through an interactive visit to Meadows. Children can come with their parents, grandparents and other relatives to spend an afternoon learning about art.

Each Super Saturday focuses on a special exhibit. This semester’s event highlighted the Museum’s display of Spanish tiles that included a wide variety of styles. The Spanish tiles ranged from bold geometric shapes to intricate floral patterns.

Since each Super Saturday has a sketching component, the children were given a clipboard with a sheet of paper to draw copies of their favorite tiles.

“The kids can do crafts based on the art to gain an appreciation for it,” Museum Director Carmen Smith said.

Three separate areas in the Meadows Museum were set up for arts and crafts. In one room, the children designed a coat of arms that reflected their interests, hobbies and other characteristics.

The second studio served as a tapestry-making room, and the final section allowed the children to actually create their own clay or ceramic tiles. The children found this section especially interesting. While they painted the clay and ceramic tiles at the studio, the children could bring them home to bake and watch their art unfold.

Admission to Meadows Museum is always free for SMU students with their student ID cards.