Rice informs graduates of their responsibilities, obligations upon leaving the Hilltop

Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus

(Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice forgave the 2012 graduates for feeling a little proud and restless Saturday morning during SMU’s 97th commencement ceremony.

While she remembers the thrill of her graduation, she admitted she doesn’t remember a word her commencement speaker said. And though she realizes that many of the graduates won’t remember her speech, she hopes they seek out those who challenge their views and work toward human progress once they leave the Hilltop.

“You celebrate this morning what you have achieved. Now vow to make it matter until the end of your days,” she said.

Aside from the memories the graduates made during their four – or more – years at SMU from spending late nights at “Fondy” to nights they may not remember, Rice said graduating from SMU should be considered their most substantial achievement.

Sharing stories of her upbringing and the challenges her family faced attempting to receive an education, Rice stressed that education is a privilege, not a right.

“Privilege brings responsibilities and obligations,” she said. “You have an obligation to act on your ideals. Your most important responsibility is to work toward human progress.”

Rice also urged the more than 2,000 graduates to find and follow their passions, commit to reason and be optimistic.

She emphasized that these students are prepared for what lies ahead despite their hesitancy and uncertainty.

“Always remember the times when what seemed impossible seemed inevitable in retrospect,” Rice said.

At the conclusion of the commencement ceremony, Rice was awarded with an honorary Doctor of Laws degree. Nancy Cartwright, a professor in the philosophy department, was also awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters.

(Photo Courtesy of SMU News and Communication)