Student Senate votes to revise portions of constitution

Student Senate voted unanimously Tuesday to make two revisions to the Senate Constitution. These Senate-approved revisions will be added to Senate’s February election ballot and will have to be approved by two-thirds of the student vote in order for the constitution to be changed.

The revisions both concern Student Senate election rules. The first revision will require that, in order to hold a student body office (including president, vice president or secretary) students must have previously served as a member of Senate or as a general member of a Senate Committee.

“We want to make sure people have a general understanding of what they’re really committing themselves to,” Senator Ben Hatch said. “We want to make sure people have some experience.”

The second revision will require that undergraduate students in Senate have at least a 2.5 grade point average. The current GPA requirement is 2.0.

“If you’re below a 2.0, you need to be devoting that time to schoolwork and not to Senate,” Hatch said.

The revisions were prepared by a special committee that included a senator from each school, a special interest senator and representatives from Student Foundation, Program Council, Asian Council, Association of Black Students, College Hispanic American Students, and the Office of Leadership and Community Involvement.