David and Carolyn Miller give $10 million to Moody Coliseum renovation project

SMU

(SMU)

President R. Gerald Turner announced that David and Carolyn Miller are donating $10 million toward the renovation of Moody Coliseum Thursday.

“This brings David and Carolyn into an elite group of legacy families who are the founders of the second century of SMU,” Turner said.

Last week it was announced that the Moody Foundation donated $20 million toward the Moody renovation project.

With this $10 million gift from the Millers, SMU is three-quarters of the way toward the $40 million projected project costs.

“You’ve heard of Moody Madness, Moody Magic, now we have Moody Miller Momentum,” SMU Vice President of Development and External Affairs Brad Cheves said as he welcomed a large crowd to Moody Coliseum’s lobby.

David Miller graduated from SMU in 1972 and was a member of the 1972 Southwest Conference Championship basketball team. His team’s picture was featured prominently in the lobby entrance.

“We didn’t want to make a big deal out of this,” Miller said. “This is really about me and my family having the opportunity to give back to a place that is so special to us.”

Moody Coliseum was built in 1956 and has been the site of men’s and women’s basketball games as well as women’s volleyball and numerous school assembly events.

The renovation project is designed to enhance the athlete and patron experience while preserving the building’s architectural integrity. Concourses will be broadened.

There will be upgraded sound systems, video boards, locker rooms and restrooms. There will also be updated lower bowl seating and the addition of club and suite hospitality areas.

“We need first class facilities to get back to a place where we can hang banners on a regular basis,” Miller said to a crowd that gave him a standing ovation.