Women’s soccer picks up first loss

Texas Techs Shannon Sims (left) and SMUs Jennifer Raad (right) dash for the ball during Sunday afternoons game at Westcott Field.
Casey Lee
Texas Tech’s Shannon Sims (left) and SMU’s Jennifer Raad (right) dash for the ball during Sunday afternoon’s game at Westcott Field.

Texas Tech’s Shannon Sims (left) and SMU’s Jennifer Raad (right) dash for the ball during Sunday afternoon’s game at Westcott Field. (Casey Lee)

The SMU women’s soccer team suffered its first loss and draw of the season after matchups against Arizona State and Texas Tech.

The Mustangs fell to the Sun Devils Friday night in what would become SMU’s first loss of the normal season. Kimber Bailey scored for the Mustangs seconds into the game off a penalty kick, but the team was unable to produce any more points.

Lauren Sheperd and Brittainy Vice both had shots on goal during the first half, but ASU goalkeeper Briana Silvestri stopped both attempts. SMU goalkeeper Ashley Gunter had four saves in the first half, preventing ASU from scoring any points.

The second half of the game produced dramatically different results for the Mustangs. ASU midfielder Carly Kallas scored the first point for the Sun Devils five minutes in when she headed in a ball from teammate Kyleyn Felts.

Kallas scored again for the Sun Devils in the 71st minute when she received a long pass from ASU defender Kylla Sjoman. ASU score two more goals in the 78th and 82nd minutes, with one bouncing off ASU’s Courtney Crane’s chest, and ASU’s Alissa Oldenkamp, one-timing a straight shot past Gunter.

The Sun Devils came away with a 4-1 second-half victory over SMU.

“We had the upper hand the whole first half and then ASU came and scored an early goal in the second half, and we all sort of panicked,” midfielder Marisa Schieda said.

Sunday’s game against Texas Tech showed a new, more determined SMU team.

The game resulted in the first draw of the season for both teams, but the Mustangs still put up impressive numbers.

“We had a bad spell on Friday night and gave up a few goals. That’s what made Sunday’s game more impressive; the girls came back, they fought, they had guts and they came back to play,” head coach Brent Erwin said.

Allison Brill had four shots on goal, including one 10 minutes into the game that barely went over the net. Brill had another close shot from the corner in the 34th minute, but Texas Tech goalkeeper Tina Rincon made the save.

Kimber Bailey had a close shot on goal the 64th minute of the game, but the shot was wide.

“We put up a fight against Texas Tech, but just couldn’t get the ball in the back of the net, even though we had more shots then they did,” said forward Jena Lind.

The Mustangs out-shot the Red Raiders 13-9 after going into double overtime.

This weekend’s games changed the Mustangs’ overall record to 2-1-1.

As for the weeks ahead, the team feels very confident in its ability to defeat TCU and Oklahoma State. “With more support from the students combined with our work ethic, we are sure to come back this upcoming weekend with two big wins,” defender Kimber Bailey explained.

The Mustangs will take on TCU Friday at 7 p.m. at Westcott Field, followed by OSU, in Stillwater, Okla. on Sept. 23.