‘Biutiful’ far from beautiful

As a foreign language film set in the typical, picturesque capital of Spain, Alejandro Gonzalez’ “Biutiful,” is from any postcard.

As a gripping, almost relentless, story of a Barcelonan criminal named Uxbal, played masterfully by Javier Bardem, “Biutful” reaches for the limits of a man’s will, but never once bothers to pull back.

Uxbal, who learns in the film that he is suffering from a terminal, form of cancer, his desperate to have is life in order before he meets his untimely death. However, it is from this desperateness where “Biutiful’s” downfalls really show.

Gonzalez, who is known widely for his intertwining story lines and non-linear subplots, is noticeably out of his element with “Biutiful’s” direct way of storytelling.

To make up for this absence of plot intrigue, Gonzalez compensates by heaping misery, on top of violence, on top of even more misery, hoping that the result is something worth watching. But, as we all know, two wrongs never make a right.

With two young daughters and a basket case of an ex-wife, Uxbal is left all by himself to make sure that his family is safe and financially stable once his cancer has taken its toll.

As a source of income, Bardem’s character actively smuggles immi-grants into his country and sells them off to low-quality sweatshops for a minuscule profit. This torrent life of crime obviously takes its toll on the story’s main character.

As twisted as “Biutiful” is, Bardem poses as the film’s Atlas, as most of the film’s weight is dispersed atop his shoulders.

This fictional weight is sometimes noticeable, as Gonzalez’ choppy story and exuberant plot lines are a bit too much to handle. For instance, as the film progresses, the audience is let in on Uxbal’s secret life as a psychic who speaks to the dead. This aspect of the film greatly reduces the credibility of the story line.

However, bad story lines aside, “Biutiful,” is worth its ticket price just to see the amazing performance that Javier Bardem delivers as he finds himself, falling down an ever slipperier slope. “Biutiful” throws everything it can to its lead actor, and Bardem acts a as a sponge absorbing it all and moving on.

In any other case, it would be highly unlikely for an actor to put up with, nonetheless stomach, the types of things that happen in “Biutiful.”

However, Bardem doesn’t even look distressed by all the horror happening around him.

“Biutiful” is heavy, simply said. From the very beginning, Gonzalez challenges his actors and viewers to venture to the brink of their moral limits and witness things that are truly disturbing. However, there is a sense of art in this hodge-podge of moral dilemma, and somehow, from the terminal cancer to the character who can speak to the dead, Gonzalez manages to make a pretty decent film.

“Biutful” may not be for those who are light at heart, but is the perfect film for viewers who are willing to explore in the dark.

“Biutful” is now playing at the Angelika Film Center in Mockingbird Station.